Ogoki

McKay 77 Stitcher - Initial Questions

Hi all,

I recently picked up an old McKay Champion 77 stitcher, and I have a few initial questions.

First, thread.  The fellow from whom I purchased the unit mentioned that it should take a left twist thread.  Can anybody confirm this?  Also, what should be used in the wax pot?  The local supplier has thread lubricator and stitching wax.  Or, is there a thread that can be used without liquid?  I used to operate a Rapid E outsole stitcher, and we used heavy bonded nylon thread without any wax or lube.  Something like this would be preferable (just in that I assume it is less messy).

Second, I have a problem with the cast-off in that it sticks in the upward position and the needle consequently drops the thread loop.  The little cast-off block is sticky on its shaft, and I need to push it back down into position with a screwdriver.  I assume it should slide around freely on that shaft when the return spring is removed.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any responses.

McKay Cast Off.jpg

The linen or cotton thread with lube(we've even used sewing machine oil) is all that will work,the nylon doesn't make a good loop & gets caught in the needle eye when sewing.You probably need to put some wax cleaner or kerosene down the shaft where the cast-off runs in, it might have some old wax in it & then oil it too.You could have a weak spring too.

That replacement "Cast-Off Screw" looks a little out of place?  So that was a trouble area already on the machine I suspect.  Here is the guide

77 McKay_Stitcher.pdf

Thanks for the responses, guys.  I do have an old hard copy of the manual, as well as that pdf.

The cast-off screw is a 6mm bolt, and the threads in the block aren't pretty, but I will need a bottoming tap to clean them up properly.  In any case, it does its job of holding the cast-off in place as is.

The spring is probably weak, but that little spring couldn't push the block back into place even if it were in good shape.

I would like to remove the block and its shaft, but the manual doesn't exactly have step-by-step disassembly instructions...  Unfortunately my workshop is in my apartment and the upstairs neighbours wouldn't appreciate kerosene.  Is a wax remover less smelly?  I have tried heating the shaft, hoping to wick away any wax that might remain, to no avail.

Thanks again.

You might want to pull it out,it could be bent on the inside.It's been quite a few yrs since I worked on one so I'm alittle rusty on them.

It turns out that cast off screw was very close to the problem.  I managed to remove the cast off assembly, and the block was bulged out, presumably from years of over-tightening that screw against the cast off.  I sanded the bulge flat and cleaned and oiled and reassembled and managed to stitch a couple of boots.

Now it is sticking again but the block is fine and the problem seems to be a bent cast off.  For the time being I will try to straighten it, but is there a supplier for parts for this thing?  I see needles around, but what about cast offs?  This one has probably seen more than its share of use.

And what kind of thickness can these things handle?  I can't imagine that I am pushing it in that regard, but who knows...

Thanks again.

IMG_20170425_105835719.jpg