Studio-N

aluminum embossing plate prototype

this is my latest prototype project. A wallet back embossing plate in aluminum with a favorite theme. This can be used directly on leather but what I plan to do is to use it as my master for casting these in an aluminum infused resin. I'm not worried about the tool marks on the bottom since the leather will never bottom out. I learned a lot on this one (meaning I broke a bit). the next one will hopefully be done in brass.

IMG_0922.JPG

Nice

thank you

what are you using for a machine to mill it out?

Looks great! I have to say I too have broken several bits milling aluminum and brass. 

Karina

what are you using for a machine to mill it out?

this was done on a HAAS VF2 vertical mill.  I learned a lot on it. I broke my 1/16" bit. after some adjustment to feed/speed/step over I finished out with a 1/32" and no breakage.

I have access to a HAAS at our local makerspace. unfortunately they don't have a 4th axis attachment so I'll be doing that stuff for the embossing rolls on my home router mill.

cheers!

Wow, I've been considering an XCarve or similar maker based CNC and I think you've just given me a fantastic reason - Thank you

I have a Grizzly G0463 that I have converted over to CNC. It works good for small projects like this. I'm still learning to use the drawing software. I can draw fine  in 2 1/2d, but the 3d program is kicking my butt.