Mockingbird

Direct Drive sewing machines

I think they are as good as other machines but I have my very own opinion. They may be more effective in use but I think on the long view direct drive machines are more expensive than machines with separate motor. Reason why I think this is you have to turn in the entire machine when (one day) the motor is broke. When you have a separate motor you just buy a new motor install it and you can use the machine within a few hours or maybe a few days (when buying online). And most likely these directs drive motors are not "universal" (like most separate motors). So most machines / machine brands (probably) have their own "dedicated" motor (I think) and and there will be a day when a company no longer supplies spare parts (or motors) for their "older" machines. There may be after market motors but finding them and adapt them for your machine could cost some $$$ and time.

An on top of that we all know (or have heard) of planned obsolescence... at least something one should think about before buying a direct drive machine (or other electronic controlled devices).

Don´t get me wrong - I do not say direct drive is bad - not at all - my opinion just is that on the long view separate motors are more economic.

Just my 2 cents - others may have a different opinion but I (personally) would not buy a direct drive machine. It of course depends on your output and if you can write off / depreciate a machine like this. But I think most of the small business folks will keep their machines for years (or even decades) and cost efficacy for sure is something you have to consider - especially as a small business.

and now throw the pooh to me... :lol:

Edited by Constabulary

The new Juki direct drive motors are fantastic. I have about 40 of them in use on the Juki 9010A needle feed lockstitch and their 3578A double needle lockstitch. They have lots of torque and are controlled by the Juki 920C control boxes. There are over 100 programmable options for anything you can imagine. They are great in a factory where we can depreciate them in 5 years and buy new. 

I would never recommend them for hobbyist machines for many of the reasons Constabulary mentioned. 

Regards, Eric