LumpenDoodle2

Repairing Leather Bag

I got hold of a couple of old leather bags in need of repair, and will have to remove the closing mechanism to sort out the stitching, and fit new lining.

I managed to grind out the little pins holding everything together on one of them ok, but was wondering about what's best for refixing.

The pins are little brass domed chaps, which have been peened down just like a copper rivet.   I wondered if anyone knew of a source for these, or will any olld brass pin, once cut down, do the job.

IMG_1659.JPG

I have restored such a bag in the past I used white metal rivets which I got from a model store in the UK.

Those little sliders need special care I managed to release the little folded over metal tabs that secure them and even managed to get them back on unfortunately I had to remove one a second time. One of the little tabs broke off a model train supplier came to my rescue with a 1 mm diameter nut and bolt to fix it in place.

18545851778_3928ac7098_z.jpgIMG_0456_1 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see I had to change the leather too.

Thanks for the reply, I've got to make new handles for both bags too.   I had wondered about haunting the model shops for the pins, but never thought of metal rivets.   Well done eith the repair.

Did you have to redo the much of the bag itself?   One of my bags just need a bit restitching, and a patch where the leather has been punctured.   The other one is quite sad, but I thought I'd try glueing a second leather 'skin' on the inside.   My idea is to preserve the original leather, but also make it useable, but if it deasn't work, I'll use the leather as a pattern, and make it from sctratch.

I've already touched up the leather with dye, and a good coat of Aussie conditioner.   Have you hit any other snags, other than the tags.

Believe it or not, this is the better condition bag.:rolleyes:

IMG_1660.JPG

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

The leather on my bag looked good until I removed the stitching the remaining leather along the bottom turned to dust.

Once I had a buyer who wanted to carry up to 20 fountain pens inked (vertical) I created a new outer cover and a folding inner section to accommodate her wishes.

19078705709_83750dfa50_z.jpgIMG_0584_1 by my0771, on Flickr

This picture was provided by the owner

20196219909_9388b8c9d5_z.jpg20 pen case 1 by my0771, on Flickr

Having thought about it I am pretty sure the rivets were bifurcated rivets rather than peened rivets. I struggled to find the tiny rivets that held the bag edges to the metal piece so I used tiny nuts and bolts which gave an industrial look.

I have a few of these small bags in my restoration queue some of which may need a leather lining I did restore a larger case which was carried in the Second world war by a USAAF Ranger.

22044616271_18327b3c24_z.jpgDSC_0277[1] by my0771, on Flickr

I think it worked really well I wanted to dye the Kip a darker colour but the owner wanted to allow it to colour naturally.

If I can be of any help please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

I can guarantee your customers are chuffed with the results.   Hope mine turn out even half as well.

I've ordered some tiny brass rivets from a model egineering firm, so will give them a go, although the tiny nuts and bolts sound easier, and practical if the lining ever needs repaired/upgraded.

Thanks  my customers were very happy indeed let me know if you need help with a key.

Michael

That's excellent work!

Please can you provide the name and/or website of the model engineering firm? Thanks

I ordered the solid brass rivets from EKP Supplies (www.ekpsupplies.com).    New territory for me, so don't know if they will work, but you never know till you try.

I used a local model store unfortunately it has since closed I will most likely use this store in future as I have ordered other items from them previously.

Macclesfield Model Engineers I have attached a link to their website they are very helpful and respond to email questions quickly.

https://maccmodels.co.uk/

3 minutes ago, MY63 said:

I used a local model store unfortunately it has since closed I will most likely use this store in future as I have ordered other items from them previously.

Macclesfield Model Engineers I have attached a link to their website they are very helpful and respond to email questions quickly.

https://maccmodels.co.uk/

The prices are pretty good.    Gone are the days of proper old model shops (must be getting old).

LUMPENDOODLE2 & MY63. Thanks for your replies

I have bought brass sheet, rod, & tube from MaccModels for my knife making, and have called at their shop, but had completely forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder

I hadn't heard of EKP Supplies but they could be useful

You can see that I also make model planes, the plastic kits, but the days when every town had a model shop are long gone. There are still a few around, but mostly everything's on The Net now