Zandeosaddles

CB4500 reverse stitch bottom loops

Thanks Mikesc. In other words I should judge the setting same ad hook timing. Also, does it matter where the small cam on the right is set when adjusting the one on the left?

I have never had to adjust up on this cam area and I think it best Bob helps you further with this.I would not think to loosen off the bottom adjustment screw until after the top is now set right. I am surprised that there is any timing marks at all on the shaft as I did not believe the Cowboy versions had any there. I understand that they know where the thread take up cam at the end of the main top shaft should sit in order to get a zero position happening and as for all the other rotations to use from there to me is still a mystery. I would think if you followed what Bob said above you should end up getting that part in proper alignment and go from there. As I said keep taking photos and sharing. You may find this thread useful or maddening-

Hi Brian. This is meticulous work indeed. I have everything triple checked and set up correctly so that all the timing sequences and relative positions are in sync. I realized that the feed dog movement at timing position of needle to hook was out. It is now perfect when alternating the feed between normal max and reverse max ie feed dog stands absolutely still wjen needle is lifted 5.5mm into stroke and hook is in centre of needle

So my machine sews at all lengths perfect in forward but somewhat loose and far from perfect in reverse on underside only. At least wprk can proveed again and much is learned although original problem is not solved. I would love to pursue this problem further.

My machine has the groove on the upper shaft and is a highhtex and not branded cowboy.

10 hours ago, Zandeosaddles said:

My machine has the groove on the upper shaft and is a highhtex and not branded cowboy.

Well that is interesting and a blessing I think in this case.I'm glad you have it back to working again and I will think about what else could be causing this issue more. Let us know if you find it. Brian

I just posted a separate topic for the video below. I thought it would make sense to include it here, too, since this thread is what got me going on figuring out my Cowboy 4500's hook timing procedure and reverse stitch issues.

Perhaps the video will help some folks who run into similar issues:

Hi Uwe. You are my hero! Thanks for this amazing video. My process was correct, but less exact due to my failure to use all the finer tips. I have my feed dog and needle not moving at all on the hook needle height of 5mm. The manual says o to 1 mm? My reverse stitches are better but still loose. When I have time. I will follow your process EXACTLY. I believe it is a very slight timing issue. My machine was also not performing well on thick work. 

Thanks Brian. Im relieved for now. It is empowering to not be afraid of the beast's insides anymore.

Wow the quality of the video is fantastic and I agree this should be a great comfort for the owners of any of this type of machine. Thank you Uwe.

I will here on refer to this procedure  as the Uwe Grosse 441 timing method with respect.