TonyRV2

Why is it a 'head' knife?

This comes from the files of "things I learned while looking up other things".  I've always been fascinated with the origin of words and phrases, especially commonly used words that aren't usually given much thought....we just say them.  Cobweb for instance, peaked my curiosity while I was staring at...you guessed it...a cobweb.  Where did the 'cob' part come from I wondered.  Turns out that its from a middle English word for spider.."coppe".  The Merriam Webster article that I was reading then went on to explain that the word 'cob', which refers to corn, comes from an entirely different middle English word, 'cobbe', meaning 'head'.  This word was used to describe anything with a round shape, such as a corn cob.  So it seems then that we have the origin for the name of the tool that we're all familiar with, the 'head knife'.  Oh....and I did finally knock down that cobweb, literally, and figuratively.  ;-)

Edit...sorry for the double post.  I was given an error message that said it didn't post and posted again...got the error message again and turns out they both posted.

Edited by TonyRV2

Back in WI i used to listen to a PBS radio show on sunday mornings. It was about just this. People would call in and the would break down the origin and meanings of words. Cant remember the name of the show now.