lemlem

Dye before or after

When making a leather handbag, is it best to dye before or after it is sewn on a machine.  What are the benefits of sewing before dying.  Does it really matter which is done first?

Any bags I've made it would be impossible to dye afterwords. I would dye and finish first. Only finishing done after sewing is edges. IMHO YMMV. I don't do a lot of bags. But I prefer a contesting stitch color.

1 hour ago, Mattsbagger said:

Any bags I've made it would be impossible to dye afterwords. I would dye and finish first. Only finishing done after sewing is edges. IMHO YMMV. I don't do a lot of bags. But I prefer a contesting stitch color.

Let me ask you this.  Do you glue the pieces on before you sew?

I just got this sewing machine and so far I have glued the strap together (it's in two pieces) and then glue the ends to the bag before sewing.

I usually glue before/sew. On this I riveted then sewed. I hand sew don't have a machine.

received_10203574390635669.jpeg

G'Day ,  

I see on the inside of the strap that theres a number still visible. I try to remove these . I have tried dying over the top, but some can be  a bit ' shiny' and the dye doesn't always  adhere. So instead, I get a bit of  very fine sandpaper or wet & dry and very  gently & carefully remove them and then dye over any marks left behind.

Nice hand stitching. :)

Handstitched.