Chevans93

Lace on firefighter radio strap

Still pretty new to leather working, but ive been doing tons of research, asking alot of questions and going through tandy scrap leather like crazy, done a few little projects as well to practice tooling, dyeing, laceing, etc. So I've got an ok base to start with and wanting to try my first real project.

So my question is... lace on a firefighter radio strap, what would be the problem with that, and is it going to hold up?.

Ive been searching the internet, and on here and have found no results with a custom radio strap with lace. So im thinking there has to be a reason. 

Yes i realize that on the strap itself where it sits on your shoulder would be a bit uncomfortable and probably rub bad. But maybe some on the radio holster, and possibly sections of the strap doesn't seem like a bad idea... i saw on tandy they have whats called "logger lace" which meets NFPA standards (basically approved for fire gear) was going to try and use some of that. 

Lace on strap would be for decorative purpose. (Leaning more on a plate braid rather than edge for strap because i think it would rub less) Lace on holster would be used to for assembly.. 

Let me know what yal think.. preferably a fellow firefighter that uses them and has some experience with them. But any thoughts are appreciated!

Also. Dyeing logger laces and laces of that type of leather. If anyone has tryed that id love to here what the outcome was... i know latigo is pretty much set on what ever color you buy. But idk about the logger lace.. let me know what yal think!

I have pictures of my EO'S strap for a referance and im going to photoshop them to try and show some of the ideas i have for it and put them into a pdf  to post on here. Look at it and tell me what you think!  

Thanks for taking the time to read!

imgtopdf_generated_2506171206036.pdf

On 6/25/2017 at 0:18 PM, Chevans93 said:

Still pretty new to leather working, but ive been doing tons of research, asking alot of questions and going through tandy scrap leather like crazy, done a few little projects as well to practice tooling, dyeing, laceing, etc. So I've got an ok base to start with and wanting to try my first real project.

So my question is... lace on a firefighter radio strap, what would be the problem with that, and is it going to hold up?.

Ive been searching the internet, and on here and have found no results with a custom radio strap with lace. So im thinking there has to be a reason. 

Yes i realize that on the strap itself where it sits on your shoulder would be a bit uncomfortable and probably rub bad. But maybe some on the radio holster, and possibly sections of the strap doesn't seem like a bad idea... i saw on tandy they have whats called "logger lace" which meets NFPA standards (basically approved for fire gear) was going to try and use some of that. 

Lace on strap would be for decorative purpose. (Leaning more on a plate braid rather than edge for strap because i think it would rub less) Lace on holster would be used to for assembly.. 

Let me know what yal think.. preferably a fellow firefighter that uses them and has some experience with them. But any thoughts are appreciated!

Also. Dyeing logger laces and laces of that type of leather. If anyone has tryed that id love to here what the outcome was... i know latigo is pretty much set on what ever color you buy. But idk about the logger lace.. let me know what yal think!

I have pictures of my EO'S strap for a referance and im going to photoshop them to try and show some of the ideas i have for it and put them into a pdf  to post on here. Look at it and tell me what you think!  

Thanks for taking the time to read!

imgtopdf_generated_2506171206036.pdf

Firefighter kid, wife and niece here...I think the plait is a great idea, you don't see many that are "out of the box" design wise. As for the plait braid itself, I do think it will be okay as long as you get it tight and flat enough, otherwise, you will have a lump in the strap that no one will want to wear because its not comfortable. It may make it a bit thick, but you can always think about lining the back or just lining over where the strap will be sitting on the shoulder. I think the reason no one has done this is the time consumption, but it would be a great project to lace on between calls, depending how busy you guys are. I say go for it, if anything, you have a cool strap that hangs for decoration, or you might get lucky and everyone wants one. 

As a firefighter I see a couple possible issues, as stated above thickness maybe an issue as a radio strap is designed to be worn under the coat to protect the mic cord from heat, ability to clean the strap the environment we wear our straps in is filled with carcinogens and a non sealed leather will absorb them more easily (with a solid strap I can scrub it down with cleaner and then oil it). 

Lace on the radio pouch I see no issue with and using colored lace would add a nice touch to the front, lace on the back may create a wear/rub issue. 

If it's something you want to still try I say go for it.