CZoc

Am I just passing Thru?

Introducing myself, Chris from Tennessee.

This has been a strange journey that has brought me to this forum and leather working. My passions have always been building and creating things , mostly from wood and steel. I have made furniture of all types, and from many different materials. Repairing and rebuilding things gives me a special pride and I have used all these skills in every aspect from cars to antiques. I love hunting, and have a great collection of guns and gear. I am never afraid to take apart anything, and rarely give up until its fixed , refurbished or I buy the tools needed. Its no surprise that I have the aptitude to learn leather working, but I had no idea how fun it would be.

I am 53, married with two great kids (soon to graduate college) and about 18 months ago I was asked that horrible question."what do you want for Christmas". I indicated a leather working kit. I had looked at them and wanted to try my hand at a holster. We recently refreshed some carry guns, and it was time to go custom on the method of carry. I have been pumping out leather goods of all kind ever since.

I have made everything from holsters, sheaths, shotgun butt covers, bible covers, kindle covers, guitar straps, key chains, and probably some other stuff I cant remember. Recently after selling my brother my George Lawrence saddle, he asked for some saddle bags. I thought No problem, except I refused to sew any of it by hand. I started looking at sewing machines, and that's why I'm here today.

I have realized.....Chevy, Ford, Craftsman, Colt, or even Browning cant compare to an early model SINGER !!!! 

Never having even seen one before 6 months ago, Im on my second 29-4 rebuild. All my passions have come together almost like it was meant to be. I know this sounds sorta dramatic, but I also have a real appreciation for history. Not much for antiques (except my belgium A5 Auto) I have learned that these machines were truly a remarkable piece of engineering. I own something that is better than 100 years old, and it works just as designed. If it could only talk right?

Anyways, I plan on making some mods to this second one and will post some pictures when I get time. I have browsed this forum during the entire journey and picked up a lot of great info. I just wanted to say hi and thanks. Im not sure if this is a phase, or if Im just passing thru, but Leather working, the tools, and the finished product all occupy my thoughts and time. 

signed, Glad to be part!

Hey, we're all just passing through, right? Congratulations on your new passion. There a LOT of machine gurus on the forum. 

There's a lot of guys in Tennessee and Kentucky on this forum as well. I wish I could find local leather guys to visit with.