thesixtyeight

Restoring an old camera case

Hello there!

I am trying to restore an old camera leather case, its from 20s-40s, so very old, and quite dry, yet with fairly glossy finish but it gets worn super easily. Its also quite stiff but when dampened, it gets soft (moldable even).

Now I would like to restore it so it "lasts for another 80 years" and restitch it. I did a bit of research on how to restore old leather and since I dont want the color to change (i am okay with a bit of darkening), I came up to this solution: condition it from inside with Neatsfoot oil and then apply Resolene from the outside to seal it off .

Do you think this would be appropriate solution? Also a question, if I apply oil to the inside of the leather (its about 2mm thick) will it become oily to degree that it could get onto the camera itself?

Thank you!

IMG_20170628_095205.jpg

IMG_20170628_095214.jpg

If you put more than a little neetsfoot oil on the inside it will get on the camera.  I've experimented with oiling from the backside on mug straps and have had oil transfer onto the glass after - it would do the same to a camera and its MUCH more expensive lens glass!  I'd try going with 2-3 light coats from the outside with a day or so at least between .. and a lot of careful observation to stop at the very first sign that it is soaking through.  

Bill

Aha I see, thanks for reply....would the oil change the color of the leather tho? im thinking of getting "Fiebing's Prime Neatsfoot Oil Compound" which seems to be yellow....is there some oil or some way how to recondition leather without much of the color change? (i dont mind a bit of darkening)

Most of us avoid neetsfoot compound and go with pure neetsfoot oil.  It will darken the leather a bit.  Put it on somewhat sparingly.

If you are restoring for a collector, I wouldn't alter the finish much if at all. If you're restoring as a user, I would use the old case as a pattern and make a new one. What kind of camera is it?

@480volt: I am making it for myself, I am turning an old case of old folding camera into a case for newer camera (I need to cut it up a bit tho) The Original finish is getting scraped off very easily and for usage wouldnt be a good choice  so I am trying to "save it" somehow