caitobrien519

Leather Hip Quiver- stitch or lace?

I'm trying to make a hip quiver. I made up a pattern based on the diy projects I saw online, but ended up accidentally creating a lot of flesh side showing between the belt attachment and the quiver portion. I tried to make this inlay with a Trinity knot to make it look a little better. I play to use rivets to attach the inlay, but I was hoping to get input on whether lacing or stitching would be more appropriate for the left side and bottom of the quiver (the right side is folded over, as well as the top edge for durability/ ease of moving arrows in and out). I have already punched holes around the top portion for the belt attachment, and I plan on using 2mm round leather lace on this portion (going to try the "double loop" style of lacing for the sides, and a running stitch on the horizontal portion, if that will work). I just wanted opinions on which would look better (and be more durable) for the rest! I have a rotary punch and the Craftool Pro Stitching Awl. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Caitlin 

Hip Quiver.jpg

hip quiver inlay.jpg

Well, it's really up to you and the style you like. I think lacing is attractive. But I think stitching is stronger. That isn't to say that lacing wouldn't hold it together though. 

Since you are only doing one side I vote for lacing. I think it'll look better than stitching in this instance. Just my opinion.

Lacing will be plenty strong enough, and looks good too.

However, I would not use round lace. Flat lace generally looks better, is stronger, and should wear better.

Hmm I'm not familiar with many brands. The stuff I have is from Tandy from a while back. It works but is brittle. The best lace you can get is kangaroo. There are many places to get it too. Kangaroo is especially prized for braiding because it is has a very high tensile strength. So, it's a lot less likely to break. And that's frustrating when you are lacing haha. 

The other option is to cut your own. Red hide/alum tanned/latigo is good for braiding if you can't or don't want to use kangaroo.

A few places for kangaroo is knotty Linda, amazing lace, or David Morgan off the top of my head. 

You can also stitch with paracord. I have used 3 mm (paracord 550) to stitch knife sheaths and quivers. You can also get 2 mm (paracord 95). Very very strong and lots of colors available.

That's a great idea wrlc. I shoulda thought of that(as I do some paracord work too). It is cheaper than lace would be and comes in a ton of colors and patterns. It is confusing getting the right stuff tho. It's labeled by tensile strength usually. But 275 paracord is about 2.33 mm wide.its a few sizes down from 550 paracord which is commonly used. And being synthetic it won't deteriorate or dry out or break or crack or anything like that. You can take the inside strands out and use a low iron to flatten the cord. Use a towel or something over the paracord though, just in case the iron gets too hot the towel acts as a buffer so your cord doesn't melt and make a nasty mess. Then, once flat, you can use it exactly like lace.

Man! I can't believe I didn't think of it first haha. Good going WRLC.

Correction: Wrlc is right. 95 cord is 1.85 mm. And 275 is 2.33mm so you're a little under or a little over the 2mm mark. The 95 cord is closer to 2mm though.

Paracord sounds like a great alternative! I was pricing kangaroo lace, and it was going to be about $22 for 10 meters. I know quality is worth it, but I just don't think THIS quiver is worthy of kangaroo.:P 

1 hour ago, caitobrien519 said:

Paracord sounds like a great alternative! I was pricing kangaroo lace, and it was going to be about $22 for 10 meters. I know quality is worth it, but I just don't think THIS quiver is worthy of kangaroo.:P 

It is. Here are a couple of shots of a traditional side quiver I did using 550 Paracord. The 95 Paracord is a very good size. Get yourself a couple of  #1193-01 needles from Tandyleather.com. The 2 mm cord thread right in. Melt and taper the cord end first. Also works with the 550 cors if you cut the end on a taper before melting.

Archery Side Quiver 02.jpg

Archery Side Quiver 03.jpg

Archery Side Quiver 05.jpg

13 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Well, it's really up to you and the style you like. I think lacing is attractive. But I think stitching is stronger. That isn't to say that lacing wouldn't hold it together though. 

Since you are only doing one side I vote for lacing. I think it'll look better than stitching in this instance. Just my opinion.

Lacing is plenty strong, and Roo is exceptional.  

5 hours ago, caitobrien519 said:

You can make this quiver worthy of roo easily.  Just take your time with the details and don't worry about the quality.  It's in the details.