Sign in to follow this  
AdamPCain

Consew 206RB-1 should I buy

There is someone in my area selling a used Consew 206RB-1 for $700 it comes with a clutch motor and table. The motor is 2yrs old. The machine looks to be in great condition, a small upholstery shop is selling it. Is this a reasonable price for this? Would love some input before I jump on this. Thanks

Edited by AdamPCain

The Consew 206RB series are a very common upholstery machine. They can sew with up to #138 bonded thread, have large M style bobbins and can sew up t0 3/8 inch of material. Since the machine is in an upholstery shop, where time is money, the motor probably has the same size pulley as the machine. This means that the 1725 rpm motor will spin the machine at the same speed.

Unless you are sewing long couch and seat covers, boat covers, banners, or tarps, you'll probably need to replace the motor with a servo motor, which typically sells for $135.00. Most leather sewers have a 50mm or smaller motor pulley installed to get the most torque at very slow speeds (~ 1.5 stitches per second).The different motor size and smaller pulley requires a shorter v-belt, so add another $8 to $10 to the price to upgrade.

With a $700 machine, new servo motor and new belt, you'd be investing $840 into a 37 year old machine that has probably been run hard and put up wet.

BTW: A brand new current model Consew 206RB-5 sells for $1300, plus or minus. It's new brother is the Consew P1206RB, which has similar specs, but goes for about $995, already equipped with a servo motor.

Thanks Wiz that helps alot.