WastelandOuterwear

First Western Holster as well as Mares leg Holster.

Image may contain: shoes

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, shoes and outdoor

I've never made any kind of western holsters or any holsters for that matter for any gun, but i was wondering if anyone here has any pointers or tell me me which areas i need to improve on for future pieces.

1st gun is not real its a replica black powder revolver, since I dont actually own a revolver.

2nd gun is a henry mares leg 22. I realize the holster for it is rather clumsy and rather unrealistic but im a big ol fan of the original mad max films and i think its cool so bite me =).

On the first holster, I think the cordage looks a little messy, but the rest of it is a very good first attempt,

The second one... has more issues, I think that the snaps are excessive, to the point of making it too slow. Lose one of them, likely the second one.

4 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

On the first holster, I think the cordage looks a little messy, but the rest of it is a very good first attempt,

The second one... has more issues, I think that the snaps are excessive, to the point of making it too slow. Lose one of them, likely the second one.

Okay ill keep that in mind, thank you =)

do you know what the uh cordage thing is called cannot for the life of me find out what that attachment method is. 

Normally just called lace. The method normally used instead, is either a Mexican Loop, or a strap and buckle. Instead of using that particular cord, use leather lace.

I'm a mad max fan myself and I'm digging the repeater scabbard! If I had made that I'd put the snap on the other side from where it is now. Allowing me to sweep the snap open and draw in one cool move as I dive to the left in a slow motion John woo kinda style

Firstly, know that I can't make anything that nice so don't take this as criticism of your talent.  Since you asked for ways to improve future models I'll toss these out.  As already noted, ditch the shoelace or cord or whatever it is on the revolver holster and use leather lacing.  From a practical standpoint, since you're apparently going for a gunfighter style rig judging by your username and interests, your holster is stitched to the back of the belt and while it looks cleaner, it provides a lip for the cylinder to catch on.  No big deal as it's a replica and you aren't going to be engaging in actual gunfights or shooting fast draw competitions with it but with repeated drawings the cylinder may score the belt (just kind of unsightly since you did a nice job tooling it).  Google some images of fast draw or buscadero holsters and you'll see that they are designed so that there is nothing to impede the drawing of the revolver- you want it smooth. 

On the mare's leg holster, I can see the utility of having the two securing straps to keep what is otherwise an unwieldy to carry weapon secured from flopping around.  Most of the open designs you see on-line have one strap over the receiver or a hook for the saddle ring (i.e. Zoe's rig in Firefly)- which would actually allow it to move around more so that running with it would probably be almost comical.  They also have either an open front spring clip or a cup at the muzzle.  Your strap is above the front sight so again, you have something for the gun to hang up on when you draw.  Most rifle sight hoods typically slide on from the rear of the sight but if it slides on from the front you may risk losing it.  I'd consider either making the lower retaining loop wider to include covering the front sight or actually turning it into a pocket (with a drain hole) which would help reduce the chances of damaging the muzzle crown (which affects accuracy) or getting junk in the muzzle when kneeling (bad things happen when you get bore obstructions).  One last suggestion- which direction do you walk?  Think about the direction of your snap straps and what can happen when you walk forward- you can catch them on objects such as brush, chairs, whatever.  No self-respecting gunslinger wants to have his firearm falling out of his holster. 

On 8/1/2017 at 0:44 PM, Bajatacoma said:

Firstly, know that I can't make anything that nice so don't take this as criticism of your talent.  Since you asked for ways to improve future models I'll toss these out.  As already noted, ditch the shoelace or cord or whatever it is on the revolver holster and use leather lacing.  From a practical standpoint, since you're apparently going for a gunfighter style rig judging by your username and interests, your holster is stitched to the back of the belt and while it looks cleaner, it provides a lip for the cylinder to catch on.  No big deal as it's a replica and you aren't going to be engaging in actual gunfights or shooting fast draw competitions with it but with repeated drawings the cylinder may score the belt (just kind of unsightly since you did a nice job tooling it).  Google some images of fast draw or buscadero holsters and you'll see that they are designed so that there is nothing to impede the drawing of the revolver- you want it smooth. 

On the mare's leg holster, I can see the utility of having the two securing straps to keep what is otherwise an unwieldy to carry weapon secured from flopping around.  Most of the open designs you see on-line have one strap over the receiver or a hook for the saddle ring (i.e. Zoe's rig in Firefly)- which would actually allow it to move around more so that running with it would probably be almost comical.  They also have either an open front spring clip or a cup at the muzzle.  Your strap is above the front sight so again, you have something for the gun to hang up on when you draw.  Most rifle sight hoods typically slide on from the rear of the sight but if it slides on from the front you may risk losing it.  I'd consider either making the lower retaining loop wider to include covering the front sight or actually turning it into a pocket (with a drain hole) which would help reduce the chances of damaging the muzzle crown (which affects accuracy) or getting junk in the muzzle when kneeling (bad things happen when you get bore obstructions).  One last suggestion- which direction do you walk?  Think about the direction of your snap straps and what can happen when you walk forward- you can catch them on objects such as brush, chairs, whatever.  No self-respecting gunslinger wants to have his firearm falling out of his holster. 

Design flaws are to be expected, in which is why i asked on here haha. But in reference to the mares leg. I don't believe personally theirs a "good" or "practical" design for a leg holster for a weapon that goes past the knee (which disables you to crouch effectively) , So if i where to make something more practical it would be a well... pretty much a large sheath that would attach to a back pack of sorts or like the name of the weapons implies, On a saddle. But regarding the cord on the revolver holster i agree it is a bad cord, its been replaced with a nice thick lace. which look much better.

Positives:  I'm diggin' the leather color and stamping...even the cordage doesn't look all that out of place to me, especially considering your personal style (post-apocalyptic/outlander). The accessory pouch is a nice touch, as well.

Negatives (not very many): I agree with CaptQuirk about the upper attachment point around the grip of the mare's leg holster...and completely concur with Kiwican about the snap location for quick draw purposes. A holster for the mare's leg (one of the most awkward weapons I personally have ever fired) should concentrate on mobility and quick access.

If the rig(s) were mine to build, I would have been inclined to combine them, utilizing a single belt to carry the mare's leg holster on the right side and the revolver holster in a cross-draw loop style holster on the left...that way, you have options to use the belt by itself or with the holsters...but that's a personal preference, like I said.

Good looking work!