Jim

New holster and gun belt pattern packs

Here are a couple of shots of a Holster and Gun Belt Set I designed and published in a new Pattern Pack. This is one of 9 new patterns I have recently sent to Hide Crafters and are now available. You have to forgive the lack of carving because I just started adding border designs and Basket Weaves and don't have a lot of practice at it yet. . . . . but the day ain't over!

See ya,

Holster_Single_Six_Set.jpgHolsterSingle_Six.jpg

post-141-1154803671_thumb.jpg

post-141-1154803717_thumb.jpg

I have always admired your work, with your clean designs and natural colors. The beauty of the leather shows, and gets more attractive as time passes. Please post the links of how people can get your instructional materials. I know that you have earned an excellent reputation for documenting how you achieve functional works of art, and don't be so modest! I have been a fan for a long time because of your fabrication techniques. (If it doesn't work, it's junk, you know.) I hope you keep posting pictures, because I know others will enjoy looking at your work, too. You are a great teacher, and I have learned quite a bit from you.

Johanna :book:

Hi Johanna! Been a while. A most gracious Thank You for your comments. You know I have always admired your work as well. As far as being modest, I have to be. I haven't quite reached that "artist" plato yet. Oh, by the way, I did mention Basket Weave, didn't I. Ya know, long story about that. Last year a Deputy here in the county wanted a holster made with a Basket Weave, so being the sort to stick my foot in my mouth and crawl out on a limb, I said "Sure, I can do that." After all, how hard can it be? (I said to myself.) Whoops! What did I get myself into? After several attempts and it continuosly falling apart, I was ready to sell the tools to whoever for $5.00. Then Teresa at Hide Crafters commented that it was just like laying bricks. BRICKS! Of course! So I created my own way of starting the first run, and it worked. The only problem with it is that can only do the "straight run" weave, but a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing. Below is a couple of the holster and belts done with my "off the wall" basket weave. They ain't perfect, but I was happy with them.

The first is the first attempt at doing this on a holster and belt. It was quite the learning experience, which I applied to the second which was custom made for Andy Fink, aka Chucky, who is the Editor in Chief of Shoot Magazine. These are my "Lightning" design which make for some fine Fast Draw and Mounted Shooting holsters. Thanks to Randall Gustafson who introduced me to Block Dying, I was able to apply that to the second one to give it some Styyyyyle!

As for where to get the patterns, Hide Crafters is still the place. George and the gang have been very good to me and I owe them a great debt of gratitude for their efforts.

Okay, Ive bored you long enough, time to go back to work. See ya.

Holster_Callahan_Lightning_Rig.JPG Chucky__s_Callahan_Lightning.JPG

post-141-1154960021_thumb.jpg

post-141-1154960056_thumb.jpg

Wow, Jim, can't tell you're not a born basketweaver. Nice nice work. "Laying brick", huh? I never thought of it that way, but that's such a good description! I'm filing that one away for the next time I need to give an explanation. Wait until you start playing with the barbed wire and the tri-weave stamps. LOL

Johanna

OOO Barbed Wire . . . .done that. It wasn't so hard. (Must of been from all that barbed wire I strung when I was on the ranch.) Tri Weave . . . . . uh, I don't know if I have enough hair left after learning the basket weave.

I think I still have the "brick layer's" version on PDF somewhere. I'll send you a copy.

Ahh, I found it! I had to add some text to make it a litle easier to follow, so here (for all to enjoy) in The Brick Layer's Guide to the Basket Weave.

Have fun

Basket_Weave.pdf

Basket_Weave.pdf

Jim, your holster looks great! How did you get that rich glow? It really makes it stand out. What kind of coloring did you use? Or is it the finish.

I made one for my Godson. It came out nice. Although, I could have done a better job coloring it.

Alex

Edited by Alex

Probably the best instruction I have seen on basketweave! I've done quite a bit and the most taxing was on a Buscadero with a drop in the top edge of the belt. Essentially, the belt is a constant width. Complex curves and basket weave don't really get along very well! LOL