abn

Defining Your Style

I'm impressed by companies that are able to make their products stand out from the crowd by creating a distinctive style. Examples might be BMW, whose engineers create vehicles with recognizable grilles and headlights, or maybe Airstream trailers, which strive for a vintage look with aluminum panel construction. What's neat about these products is the fact that you could hide the nameplate, and odds are, you'd still know the maker.

When I first started out in leatherwork, my #1 concern was making a quality product. But coming in a close second was the desire to make something that reflected a unique style. I've noticed that many folks here have developed their own style in leather. I'd be curious to know your opinions on the following questions:

1. How would you define your style if you had to describe it to someone?

2. What would you say influenced your style? (Techniques, materials, personal preferences, customer preferences, other?)

I don't think we've discussed style much on this forum, so I hope folks will consider weighing in on this topic and sharing some insights.

Thanks, Alex

1. I'd have to say that if I had to describe me style to someone it would be um... er... ah... mine? *L*

2. as far as what influenced me style, part of it was conscious decision, but mainly it's due to being self-taught.

I think mine could be described as; functional and tough or durable, almost industrial, with a touch of cartoony hot rod influences.

Alex,

Great topic. I've thought of this several times and although I'm not there, I have learned something about it. I don't believe my "style" is something I will work toward but, rather something I'll settle into. If that makes sense. Any time I try to come up with a style, I find that I'm simply emulating someone's that impressed me. Unique styles may be rare and when I reach mine it will probably be more suttle than the ones you mentioned.

my 2c,

Regis

I think mine could be described as; functional and tough or durable, almost industrial, with a touch of cartoony hot rod influences.

Lifter, you're a perfect example of someone who has developed a unique style. (Samples)

I think it's interesting that you mention the words durable, industrial and cartoony, but don't say anything about what I think is the most distinctive quality of your work, and that's the color. You're one of the few folks here who leaves a seat naturally colored, but dyed black in certain areas. Is that your personal preference, and if so, do you think you might ever experiment with other color schemes?

For a long time I wondered if I would ever develop my own style, but I think it's started to come out. I do mostly pictures these days and the thing I'd like my carving style to be considered is realistic art. Then I go and put feathers on a buffalo, but I still want the feathers to look realistic.

I think that my style is influenced by two things, the place I live, and the people who's work I admire and try to learn from. I spend a lot of time outdoors, so nature will always be part of what I do. As for who's work I admire, the list is long and I try to take a little from all of them and blend it into something that is my own. Since I usually just make things that I want to make, I don't have to worry about what a customer or anyone else wants. I hope that my style never is fully developed, but continually growing and changing.

My style is more towards realism too in leather.

If possible I would like to put my own twist on the subject, usally I can do this when it's not a comission work, then again, it also have to do with the purpouse of the item. I need to get this subject a second thought in about a year when I have some more items to compare with:-)

In art, I'm an absolute fan of surrealism, anything goes,. but I also love cubism. I have tried to come up with themes for this to leather but have not yet come up with an idea that is good enough. To just take one of my painting and trancfer it to leather...Naw, that would most likley look really strange:-)

Intersting topic Clay.

Yes, interesting topic, but I can't take credit for it, it was Alex's idea

Edited by ClayB

Alex,

This is a great topic and one I've recently spent a lot of time thinking about.

I'd like to think my style is conservative avante-garde. I'm working on getting beyond the 'conservative' part...

As far as mask-making goes, I'll soon be vending at a convention along side another mask-maker who feels my work is 'too similar'. His friends agree; my friends disagree. I've decided to make whatever I want, truly believing that it's not our work that's so similar but our influences, and let the customers decide what they want... although I've decided to make more bags than I had originally planned. 'One-of-a-kind stylized wearable art masks' is how I tend to describe them. I spend a lot of time obsessively edging them and take a particular pride in how well the edges look when they're done. I also tend to 'spit shine' many of them to get a deep, high luster. Unfortunately, I usually photograph them before they're actually finished.

My bags and tool cases derive their beauty (for me, anyway) from the quality of their construction, their practicality, functionality, and smooth, clean lines. Spending 6 years in the Army back when the boots were black and highly polished definitely left its mark on my aesthetic sense. I do seem to be among the minority of leatherworkers who choose to work with oil tanned or chrome tanned leathers, and I wonder sometimes if 'real' leatherworkers even see my designs as leatherworking at all. Prior to discovering LW.Net last week, I didn't have much to compare my work with. Now I wonder what direction it'll take, with so much exposure to new or different ways of doing things.

My influences are definitely eclectic and draw heavily from military, industrial, sci-fi, fantasy, gothic and fairytale genres. I take pride in my 'range'. Just this week I made a sturdy black camera case, two shimmery ladies' masks, one textured gargoyle mask and one neon green child's purse with a huge white daisy applique' : )

~Tammy

This is a fun topic. I am still working on "my style"... i do floral western items mostly, and over the years i have moved from Tandy style to Sheridan style to California style- then did some "vintage" style using patterns and components from decades ago. With each style, i pick up things that i like. I am in the process of trying to take all the things i liked and combine them into something that I like. Essentially, I am trying to draw a pattern that has some old flowers (some modified/modernized), but using modern stamps, and done in a more contemporary layout (smaller flowers/leaves and a more circular layout).

I am mostly influenced by the work that i see others do that I like.

Alex,

Good questions. When I started carving leather in 1970, most of the books covered figure carving or Western Floral Designs. I did holsters, belts, quivers, brief cases, 3-legged camp stools, handbags, purses, wallets. I also do wood working. Anything from antique furniture restoration (billiards table, hoosier cabinet, clock cases) to wood turning. In the late 90's I was helping a master wood carver finish a Totem Pole on Rainy Lake at Camp Kooch-i-ching and I began to look at Native American Art (bead patterns, totem poles, Shield patterns, etc.) and how that would transfer to leather. I had spent 18 years living summers on that island and at that camp since my parents worked there, but never ever looked at it as an art form until much later in life. You can find examples of my work in the Show Off section.

I also take Military insignia and medals and transfer their design to leather for special projects (retirement/going away present).

I guess that is why I consider myself a craftsman rather than an artist.

When my wife wanted a totem of a rabbit on her PDA case I realized that I had not seen one in any of the literature or current art/poles that followed the traditional totem art form of the northwest. I am currently drawing one myself. I have finished one design and I am letting it sit for a while and I will come back to it to see if I am still happy with the results, otherwise I will begin attempt #2. Eventually the design will be transfered to the leather PDA case and tooled. I might, just might consider that art.

So the answers are:

Question #1 is: craftsman - I really want people to know that the final product was hand crafted and not machined pressed;

Question #2 is: my life experiences and my love/belief in the Red Road.

1. Traditional with Flare - I like to use colors that are not normally seen in braiding. I also have a tendency to make items more showy and go beyond the need of the function.

2. Functionality has the biggest impact on my style, followed by personal perference and then what I can sell. I find that I can generally place folks that ask me to braid for them in two catagories:

a) must be very traditional and all Rawhide

B) I want something that no one else will have.

Heather

I think that my style is influenced by... the place I live...

It's funny you bring that up, Clay, because I'm convinced that's one of the major influences in my work, as well. I've lived my entire life near the Blue Ridge Mountains and have spent a good bit of time in the Smokies, too. I've gotten to see lots of mountain crafts, whether it's leather, clay, iron or wood. Most of these items are simple and clean, and designed to favor function over form. While I love to admire ornate objects, I've found I have very little talent in producing them, so I stamp instead of carve and keep designs as simple as possible.

Now, these preferences don't have much to do with what customers want. Since I don't depend on leatherwork for income (thankfully, 'cause I'm too damn slow :zzz: ), I focus on what feels right to me. It's hard to describe, but about a year ago, I started developing an instinct for what works for me and what doesn't... Maybe that's the beginning of figuring out your own style...

My style could be described by some as "amateur rustic" (or tatty by others) I guess

Alex Great topic! I guess we are all trying to find our nitch to separate us from the rest.

My style is trying to blend traditional leatherwork with pyrography.

I was always impressed with traditional carvings and pyrography colors the leather without dyes or paint. making a permanent, functional piece of art that should look better with age.

"It's not what it looks like now, it's what will it look like in 10 years?"

I like this topic!. Thanx abn.

IMHO: Style can probably be defined in several ways.

First: there is the craftsmanship side. You could copy traditional styles, but there is something in the items you make, that distinguishes you from the others. Maybe that would include how you use the hand tools, pear shaders, etc. You might even use a hand tool differently to create a new something (think Freak's leaves in his backgrounding)

There are acceptably standard ways to hand sew, for instance, but you may end with a wrap, instead of a backstitch, or both.

Second: there is the actual design on the piece. All the bike guys here have distinguishable differences in their design choices, braid/stich/rivet choices.

There are the actual patterns of the piece, maybe original patterns (think Kevin King's wallets, or esantoro's bags, or Jordans cellphone holster. (I'm not leaving people out, just random choices, or this comment would run 12 pages naming everyone's contributions...not to mentionall the incredible saddlers). They are all combinations of the works that came before, yet, with a personal style applied.

Maybe it's just one of these, or all of them that distinguish a person's work. Maybe it has to do with location , like clay said, after all, the people who buy from you local, are the ones that tell you what to make. Horsey people, musicians, corporate types....

I'm not even sure we, as artists, and craftsman actually know what our styles are. We know what choices we make, in leather, and design. We allot time frames to our piece making, that influence quality. We make our own unique decisions, but it maybe the outside observer who finally decides if you have a style, or not. If they see the difference in what you do, then, You have a style.

I've been thinking about this one a bit.

I think your "style" is an ever evolving process. Just look back at your first project and compare to what your making now. Is it the same? Or has it evolved as your experience grows?

I dont know if I can define my style personally. Someone here on LW called my work "biker elegant". So maybe your style is actually defined by others?

The examples given in the first post of BMW, hummer, etc. are all more examples of "branding" which is key in big commercial success. Personally, I don't know if I want to be branded.

KK

Edited by Kevin King

The examples given in the first post of BMW, hummer, etc. are all more examples of "branding" which is key in big commercial success. Personally, I don't know if I want to be branded.

Kevin, you bring up an interesting point.

By "branding" I assume you mean a concerted effort to make products similar and recognizable. And you're right, it's clear that BMW and Hummer are trying to incorporate certain design elements into every vehicle they make so they have the right "look." So, what's bad about this? One downside might be that the engineers don't have complete freedom to design -- they're always limited by parameters that establish the corporate brand. A great example is that every BMW model needs to have that patented split grille, regardless of whether it's the best or most efficient design.

I totally respect artisans that aren't willing to live with parameters, and try to experiment and introduce completely new designs. However, I've also discovered I have a strong desire to make products that resemble one another. I guess I'm guilty of branding -- I do prefer to make my wallets look like my wristbands, that also look like my notepads. I want to be able to take all of these items, put them on a table, and recognize that one person made them...

:)

Alex,

I don't think your products actually have to look that similar for your style to show through, when you get that style developed to a recognizable level. Look at Peter Main's work. It doesn't matter if it's a gun belt, a covered mirror, or a book cover, there are things he does that make his work recognizable, even without his unique signiture. His coloring technique, his use of the modeling tool, the perfection in everything he does.

Jan Schoonover does a lot of work very similar in style to what Robb Barr did. But, if you set their work side by side, it wouldn't take long to figure out which one of them did each piece. They each have things that give away thier work (thier style).

I bet there are a lot of saddle makers here that can pick out the work of a lot of thier peers just by looking at it. Might be the way they cut out a certain piece, the way they tool, the way certain things are assembled.

Here on the forum there are people who's style shows in thier work. Look at Kate Dubiel's work. It doesn't matter if it's a chessboard or a book mark. Her unique style of coloring gives it a way as well as her attention to the tiny details. Art and Vera Goldberg is another. Doesn't matter if it's a picture or a vase, the style that they have developed shows through in either one and makes it recognizable.

I have studied the work of a lot of people and try to take something from a each of them and incorporate it into what I do. I think it would be really neat though for your own unique style to show through no matter how different your projects are.

Post-modern-neo-classical-avante-traditionalist-conservative-goth, with a blend of light and dark moods that mixes to a nice plain gray. Sorry- I'm too new at this to have a style.

Style, STYLE, we no need no stinkin style! LOL. Seriously though I have a style but haven't the faintest clue what it might be, perhaps artisticaly challenged or hodgepodge functionality. I was looking at a Norwiegen museum site the other day and saw a barrel seat that was carved with what looks to me like the sheridan style may have evolved from it, so maybe style is in a constant state of evolution and can't be pegged down.

1. How would you define your style if you had to describe it to someone?

2. What would you say influenced your style? (Techniques, materials, personal preferences, customer preferences, other?)

I don't think we've discussed style much on this forum, so I hope folks will consider weighing in on this topic and sharing some insights.

Thanks, Alex

1 - hmm...my style is what appeals to me aesthetically, tempered by what my skill

allows me to achieve from a production sense..i'd say i can get about 40% of what is in my

head down on leather at this point in my leather-craft career..i have a ways to go to catchup

2 - my style is wholly based on the things Ive experienced and the things

that have influenced me: bikes, hot rods, NYC, music, tough guys, mean streets and good friends

I consider myself a big time "blender" of stylistic influences

I got into leather craft because I wanted things for myself that were pretty specific, and I couldn't find anyone to get it right...and i tried finding people to bring my ideas to life....

I always got what THEIR style was, and what i wanted was work that was MY style - so i figured i'd give it a go myself...years later, my desire for a plain black belt has cost me thousands of dollars and a shop full of tools.... that belt and wallet of my dreams sure have turned out to be expensive...lol

bottom line - i make stuff that i'd wear, that comes out of my head and that i like - thats always been my marker - people have bought

into my taste/style and that is what i serve up. Honestly, it is really the only thing i know how to do.

You want "sheridan" - i tell some folks - find someone else - it aint what I do.

I am for the most part, a one trick pony...and thats ok with me...and my customers too, it seems

steveb

Lifter, you're a perfect example of someone who has developed a unique style. (Samples)

I think it's interesting that you mention the words durable, industrial and cartoony, but don't say anything about what I think is the most distinctive quality of your work, and that's the color. You're one of the few folks here who leaves a seat naturally colored, but dyed black in certain areas. Is that your personal preference, and if so, do you think you might ever experiment with other color schemes?

Thanks, abn. I tried some color on some earlier seats and I found it didn't hold up well at all. Although I love full color art, I also love black and white illustration and I think simple natural colored leather, with or without black, and some sort of contrast or highlight just looks better with age. I want people to run my stuff and beat the crap out of it, for a long time, and not worry about color rubbing off. And when it does wear out I'll do it again.