JustJBags

Questions on Handbags, Books, or advise

Hey everyone,

I have been making handbags for some time now, and like all my leather work I have taught myself how to do it.  I have bought a couple books but for the most part they have been redundant to what I already know.  Now I'm looking for an answer to a couple specific questions, and maybe someone can answer these questions here or direct me to a book or instructional video that could help.  I have usually glued the linning to the sides but this doesn't work with zippered pockets, right? so I have to leave the linning loose.  I have a certain adversion to this, I just feel like it's sloppy.  Does any one know a solution other than a completely loose lining, or can assure me that this is the right way to do this.

Next is my question of bag leather.  Ive found that if Im using a 6-7oz leather it works good for messenger bags, but for a standard bag like a hobo bag I would want a 3-4 oz but sometimes it seems like that might not be enough stiffness, is it appropriate to use an interfacing

You can catch the lining in the seams to hold it in place on bags , I'm not entirely sure of the technique  so I would try it out. You can use interface , most bags are made with thinner leather than most of us would believe which is why they wear badly and frequently fail in use. I usually recommend 'The design and construction of handbags '  by W C Double it is long out of print but useful for techniques.

On 08/08/2017 at 11:11 PM, JustJBags said:

Hey everyone,

I have been making handbags for some time now, and like all my leather work I have taught myself how to do it.  I have bought a couple books but for the most part they have been redundant to what I already know.  Now I'm looking for an answer to a couple specific questions, and maybe someone can answer these questions here or direct me to a book or instructional video that could help.  I have usually glued the linning to the sides but this doesn't work with zippered pockets, right? so I have to leave the linning loose.  I have a certain adversion to this, I just feel like it's sloppy.  Does any one know a solution other than a completely loose lining, or can assure me that this is the right way to do this.

Next is my question of bag leather.  Ive found that if Im using a 6-7oz leather it works good for messenger bags, but for a standard bag like a hobo bag I would want a 3-4 oz but sometimes it seems like that might not be enough stiffness, is it appropriate to use an interfacing

It is best if the zippered pocket hangs free not glued to anything. Most linings also are better if not fully attached and if glued at the edges only. Show us the bag design if you want a better recommendation. Many of the bags I make have some form or other of interfacing but most are crocodile. Check my web page for some other examples.