CherokeeSam

Newbie holster question

Going to make my first cowboy action holster. I want to have outer layer, rawhide for rigidity and inner layer smooth side. I was thinking of using 8/9 for outer layer and 5/6 for inner layer. Does that sound reasonable?

thanks,

Cherokee Sam

You don't need rawhide for rigitidy. Using 2 layers of 5oz will be nice and stiff. Look in the holster section for some advice there are a lot of guys who do cowboy action holster and probby get some advice there. I wet form my holsters and they are stiff but designed for retention not fast draw.

Think of rawhide as an embellishment -- not a primary structure.  Weave some in as an accent, but like Matt said, 5 oz backed up with the same and wet formed will serve nicely.

Unless you are lining the holster with 22 gauge metal, you should use the 8-9 plus a liner of, at least, 5-6. Once constructed, soak the holster, insert the gun and air dry or, better, use the sun. The holster becomes a deadly weapon.

SASS shooters want super rigidity and just a tad of retention. They do not want any supple leather (no flop when they run) anywhere on the holster. The holster should be made with wide "belt ears" and screwed to the back flap. Here is something to give you some ideas. Keep in mind all of mine are speed rigs. Not for the faint of heart.

Do not cover the trigger guard. Access to the grip and trigger guard is very important. And to those who faint at the sight of an exposed trigger guard, cowboys train to never hit the trigger before the revolver is pointed down range. An AD within 10' allows you to pick up brass and/or keep score for the reminder of the match.

Jeremy 003.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG