nesvarbu

Too shiny/glossy finish...

Hi everyone,

as a hobby I've decided to take on my (natuzzi) leather sofa which had some cracking and some worn patches especially on 2 of the cushions, applied chamberlains milk balm which hid a bit of cracking it had, but those patches were still rough rest of the sofa had this kind of glossy (or so I thought) finish, but 2 of the cushions were feeling rough... so I thought maybe sanding it down to smooth out a bit would help... which kind of did smooth out the leather in those patches, but did nothing to restore that shiny finish, neither did any of the conditioning/buffing... so I thought it needs some finish (which it did, cause some dye was getting transferred to the buffing pad). So I have applied Fiebing's resolene on the sofa and it looked a bit shiny, and on one cushion I felt some roughness so I though, I sand it down and reapply resolene again (since those are the most worn 2 coats would protect them better) and here I am with a blinding sofa... :) After reading a bit here I saw that people mix it with 50% of water to do less shine, but I think that only would work if you didn't have dried shiny resolene underneath... don't think it would become matte just because I'd add diluted resolene on top...

I googled extensively and saw various suggestions for getting less shiny finish using different kind of finish, though I didn't see much for the correction steps... what to do when it's already in that shiny state... sand it down (what grits 800/1500/3000)? Get Fiebing's deglazer and start from scratch (remove/redye/reapply resolene with 50/50 mix)? Acetone? What's my best option (preferably cost effective, not something like get a new sofa)... :)

Thanks!

Whatever you decide on, I'd certainly try it on an inconspicuous part of the sofa first! And, have plenty of ventilation if you use deglazer or acetone.

Ya gotta love spell-check, the suggestion for replacement of deglazer was "gladder". 

17 hours ago, Jbrandon said:

Wow you must really like your sofa.....

Well, as I said it's more of a hobby trying to learn something new :)

I'll just get more of a satisfaction that whoa, I was able to fix it...

Chrome tanned leather is pretty near impossible to refinish from all I've read and heard. Look luck!