johnggrg

Medieval Helmet pattern help

I had an idea about making some different types of medieval helmets out of leather. Tried to find a place that sold printed patterns for them with no luck at all. Has anyone by chance ever made one?  There are a couple places that have free patterns for making them out of steal but there just rough  drawings. I had one in mind to start with if I can get the picture to load got pic from internet. If someone wants to make a printed pattern for this I would buy it from them including shipping. Please let me know. John   P.S  Guess the picture loaded cool!

s-l200.jpg

s-l5002.jpg

If you look at this particular design it isn't really that hard to recreate.  you will need to do some leather wet molding and that will probably be the hardest part because you will need something to mold onto.  The top piece is basically built like a short cone.  Check in housewares for maybe a funnel  or bowl of similar shape / size.  Then you have  a long straight rectangle for the middle piece that would wrap the circumference and finally the facial piece which is built similar to a hockey goal mask.  With it being Halloween time you can probably find some plastic cheap goal masks in costume pieces you can use to mold the leather onto for your finished look.  You would probably use about a 4 to 5 oz leather and soak it in hot water to get it to tighten as it drys.  This will give it a rigidity to look like the metal counterpart.  You may even look for a plastic similar designed costume helmet you can use to mold your leather around.  

I made a roman armor chest piece using a plastic Halloween costume as my wet  mold and it came out pretty cool.  When you are wanting to take on this type of challenge you just have to visualize what looks like it that would make a great mold for wet sculpting.  

Here is a plastic one currently offered that may be worth trying to recreate with leather wet molding.  You can use the plastic as your template.  https://www.spirithalloween.com/product/48083.uts#.Wb0hYeJqBZM.gmail

12063707_10154209202066490_3466226906810698581_n.jpg

This is the end result of leather wet molding I did using a plastic roman armor costume piece as the mold.  

Edited by vampyleather

1 hour ago, vampyleather said:

If you look at this particular design it isn't really that hard to recreate.  you will need to do some leather wet molding and that will probably be the hardest part because you will need something to mold onto.  The top piece is basically built like a short cone.  Check in housewares for maybe a funnel  or bowl of similar shape / size.  Then you have  a long straight rectangle for the middle piece that would wrap the circumference and finally the facial piece which is built similar to a hockey goal mask.  With it being Halloween time you can probably find some plastic cheap goal masks in costume pieces you can use to mold the leather onto for your finished look.  You would probably use about a 4 to 5 oz leather and soak it in hot water to get it to tighten as it drys.  This will give it a rigidity to look like the metal counterpart.  You may even look for a plastic similar designed costume helmet you can use to mold your leather around.  

I made a roman armor chest piece using a plastic Halloween costume as my wet  mold and it came out pretty cool.  When you are wanting to take on this type of challenge you just have to visualize what looks like it that would make a great mold for wet sculpting.  

Here is a plastic one currently offered that may be worth trying to recreate with leather wet molding.  You can use the plastic as your template.  https://www.spirithalloween.com/product/48083.uts#.Wb0hYeJqBZM.gmail

12063707_10154209202066490_3466226906810698581_n.jpg

This is the end result of leather wet molding I did using a plastic roman armor costume piece as the mold.  

Vampyleather thank you for the reply. It's funny you mention that about the plastic helmet. I had the same idea and looked them up and actually found the same helmet to. Only thing is the body of the helmet is all one piece and being a costume would be small.  I was hoping someone here had tried to make a helmet before and might have some suggestions or be willing to draw up a pattern to sell. Infact I want to do a few different ones. The great helmet, the helmet I have pictured, and a spangen helmet not sure if I am saying that last one right. If someone wants to draw up some patterns for sale let me know. But they would need to be made for a 23 in head size.. Those are just a couple I thought of could do a couple more. Let me know. John