Sign in to follow this  
Soybomb

Edge Creaser Advice

I'm curious if anyone could offer any tips on using an edge creaser. I find it has a tendency to drift from the edge a bit as I use it and I don't seem to be really skilled at making my edge lines intersect without going too far past each other.

Soycomb. What type of edge creasing tool are you using. Is it a commercially made adjustable variety, or is it something like those plastic ones that you can get from places like Tandy. Personally I have had better success with ones I have made myself. A good homemade creaser can be made by cutting a groove in a piece of bone so that it is your desired distance from the edge. I have also done the same with the wooden handle of cheap boot knives. I only use my adjustable metal creaser if hot creasing as I am not overly fussed on the angle of the handle in relationship with the creasing part of the tool (plays havoc with my arthritis).

The trick to a good creased edge is to run the creaser the entire length of your strap in one go. Up and back 3 times should suffice. Try and avoid rubbing up and down in short jerky movements as this can produce a jerky crease line. Until tou get used to it you can also try screwing down a little step to a wooden board and clamp this board to your bench. This will give you something to butt the strap against while you crease the outer edge.

Barra

I've only been trying with one of the metal adjustable edge creasers with the little thumb screw on it so far. I'm not even sure if I'm holding the right direction up really..... :D I'll try the 1 pass thing, I think I'm guilty of doing the short strokes at times.

Thanks

Soybomb,

When I first saw your post, I suspected that was the creaser you were using. Think pf the legs as skies. As you open them up, the edges splay further and further. Tip the front ends of your skis apart and head down the hill - once. I couldn't get them to track either. IMHO, it is because you are trying to force a groove making tool at an angle. If it was a sharpened tool and meant to cut it wouldn't track with the blade at an angle. What you are trying to do is essentially the same only making a groove with a dull linear surface at an angle. The sized edge creasers with the longer leg, and the creasing surface parallel with the direction of travel works much better.

Bruce Johnson

I found siegel actually has them in multiple sizes with designations other than small and large https://www.siegelofca.com/itemdetail.asp?prodid=133

Anyone have any idea what number is appropriate to make a line 1/8" in on 7/8 leather? Is the size the thickness of the line, or the distance from the edge, or both? Osborne needs a website :D

[quote

Osborne needs a website :D

Osborne does have a website: www.csosborne.com

They just don't sell to the general public.

Edited by whinewine