Sign in to follow this  
Swindlehurstguy

Adler patching machine question...

A newbie here, hello everyone! I have been itching to buy a sewing machine but here in South Africa they are very scarce and expensive. I have been offered an Adler Patching machine, I will try and post a pic a bit later, this model has the hand iperated wheel which also happens to be operated by a motor. As yet I do not know how much the gent wants, so my questions relates to the thickness it will most likely be able to handle. I want to be doing thick stitching as in holsters and so forth, would such a machine conected to a servo work, or would I be better served shelling out the equivalent of $3000 for a Cowboy and never look back? My real concern is that so often we buy something in order to save some money only to realise that the machine is not as versatile as we initially thought! Please Ladies and Gents feel free to jump in and let me have your opinions even though at present I cannot provide too much info. Thanks in anticipation.

Okay the image I have is too large but it appears to be an adler 30/1shoe patching machine. 

Edited by Swindlehurstguy
adding image

The 30-1 is similar to a Singer 29k73 patcher in that it maxes out at just over 1/4 inch, with #92 thread. It has a longer arm than the standard patchers. This particular model uses the same tiny bobbins as the Singer 29-4 of yesteryear.

I want you to understand up front that this is a patching and repairs sewing machine. Shoe shops use them to darn rips and torn thread in shoe uppers. Others take them to motorcycle shows to sew patches onto Bikers' vests and jackets. They are very useful for replacing tabs on ladies' purses, as well as zippers in purses and pouches.

Do not even consider using a patcher to sew gun holsters! The thread it uses is way too small and has a fairly low breaking strength that can cause the stitches to separate when a gun is pushed hard into a holster. The tiny bobbins can only hold small diameter thread efficiently. The smaller the thread, the longer one can sew before changing bobbins. Most folks use #69 bonded thread in small bobbin patchers.

Hi Wizcrafts, thanks so very, very much for your advise, it is a huge comfort to know that leatherworker and folk like you are here to offer advise! I love this website as there is so much one can learn. I guess that I will most likely require a cb4500, although quite expensive, there are many here that have them so I will never be up the proverbial creek without a paddle when it comes to advise! Thanks again, warmest regards

New, the Adlers are quite a lot of money nowadays, so, if he doesn't want much ( and if it is in good condition ) you might be able to buy it, resell it and make some money there.

Here is the rub with leather sewing machines, there are 3 kinds out there. One is the crusty "toy" I will only get used for 10 hours a year and kept in the garage kind (chinese made found on ebay for sub $500), Antique pre 1918( when people lived and died never traveling more than 50 from where they were born in their lifetime) machines because you had to repair and make things yourself if you lived more than 15 miles from someone who could and was willing to do it for you. Lastly are industrial machines, they are designed to do ONE thing  and they do it very well and can do it all day everyday with proper maintenance, they are made to make money and therefore they will cost a bit of money.

My opinion is, and it is worth exactly what you are paying for it, If you are making two holsters a month a good stitching chisel, pricing iron or probably the best choice a crimson hide chisel set would do you fine. It will take a lot of time but the cost is super low.

If you are trying to make 2 a week, this is tough... you would be making 100 in a year that means you could up your price by $35 and absorb the cost of the machine in a year... 

Now if you were trying to make one a day then yeah buy a $3500  machine and dont look back, hell you will need a $3000 clicker too unless you want to spend 2 hours a day cutting leather.

Now if you just want a machine to say you have one, be patient and keep your eye out and your ear do the ground go talk to luggage and shoe repair shops they might have some good leads on used stuff and folks who can find you a machine that fits you needs.

Either way good luck, have fun, be productive, and make some cool shit!

Edited by tomsmith85717