doingmahresearch

Vegetable tanned watch strap lining and sweat?

Hi, I'm working with a factory to make watch straps for my watch (I need a lot). Originally, I wanted to use vegetable tanned full-grain leather for the strap lining (to match the upper), but they recommended instead to use a water/sweat resistant lining, which they said they usually use for their "high-end" straps. In Chinese, this lining is called 真京底. I have no clue it's name in English.

So my question is how do vegetable-tanned leathers fare with sweat/water? Should I go with the water/sweat resistant lining or good old veg-tan?

Thank you!

In case anyone was wondering,  真京底 translates at Google to "Really Jing off the end". I got nothing...

I used some Hermann Oak vegetable tanned leather on a watch strap - treated it with lots of wax.. resolene... it still turned really dark brown from the oils in the skin and a few forgetful dunks in the dishwater....  Not sure what I should be using instead, so looking forward to hearing the answer on this one...

YinTx

Between the oils in your skin, the thinness of the leather, and the fact your wrist doesn't change in size and shape all that much... I dont think it will really matter.

I've made bands for myself that I lines with veg tan. Yes, they discolored over time on the inside but as it was the inside I really didn't care.

If the company manufacturing for you has experience making a similar product I would use their experience at least for a sample. I'm assuming they will be sending a sample of the product to make sure its what you want before doing a whole run.

I used plain veg to line this one, and the second pic is one year later. Not sure what caused the splotch. I don't show folks the inside, so I'm not really concerned.

Pass-thru cuff int_sm.png

One year later_sm.png