lchristiansen

Water & Leather: Coasters & Flasks

I have been asked to make a set of coasters and a leather covered flask, but my concern is sealing them correctly. As they will each be exposed to water/liquids is there a special sealer I should get/use?  I am concerned that paints or dyes I use will be adversely affected, any advise/guidance will be greatly appreciated. 

I made a coaster and use it everyday and have done for about 6 months or so. I used antique stain and after it dried I just used super shene. The coaster has had hot and cold spilled on it and no worries so far. I have also made and use a leather mason jar holder everyday with hot and cold spilled on it. I used sno seal on that and it's been about 3 years and no issues

Thanks for the reply, I feel less nervous about making these now!!!!

Numerous thin coats, thoroughly dried between, will protect better, and prevent cracking, peeling and chipping. 

Thanks alpha2, great advise!!  Reminds me of a line from the movie Hook, "Less is More"  :yeah:

both pieces of advice are good. i have one that i did 3years ago. did just as they said, no issue at all. its had many spills on them as well.