Sign in to follow this  
wayner123

watch strap

Hello all,

I recently finished my leather watch strap. (I will post pics in my other thread) I just finshed up the dying part of it last night. Now I need to find a finish that will allow the strap to bend properly and be water resistant. Most importantly, not allow the dye to rub off onto my wirst. What will serve this purpose the best?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Wayne,

After the band dries, rub it vigirously with a clean cloth to get any leftover dye off. Trim and finish the edges with water and bone or however you do it. You can optionally at this time gum the flesh side and when that dries go over the whole thing with Pecards, or Aussie, let it dry in warm place a day or two then do it again. This will be waterproof and still breathe and is flexable. Buff the Pecards finish with a soft brush to bring up a little shine.

Art

Hello all,

I recently finished my leather watch strap. (I will post pics in my other thread) I just finshed up the dying part of it last night. Now I need to find a finish that will allow the strap to bend properly and be water resistant. Most importantly, not allow the dye to rub off onto my wirst. What will serve this purpose the best?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

What is Pecards or Aussie??

Would tan kote work? I have plenty of that. From what I read, tan kote is not water resistant at all. Is that correct??

Hi Wayne,

Tan Kote and Bag Kote are not water resistant.

Pecards:

http://www.pecard.com/store.php?crn=213&rn...ion=show_detail

Aussie:

Aussie Leather Conditioner 15 oz.

2199-00 A special conditioner formulated with beeswax and developed to soften, preserve and waterproof leather in temperature extremes. Use on boots, saddles, tack, belts and shoes. You can get this from Tandy.

I like Pecards better than Aussie, but that is just me.

Art

What is Pecards or Aussie??

Would tan kote work? I have plenty of that. From what I read, tan kote is not water resistant at all. Is that correct??

Hi Wayne,

After the band dries, rub it vigirously with a clean cloth to get any leftover dye off. Trim and finish the edges with water and bone or however you do it. You can optionally at this time gum the flesh side and when that dries go over the whole thing with Pecards, or Aussie, let it dry in warm place a day or two then do it again. This will be waterproof and still breathe and is flexable. Buff the Pecards finish with a soft brush to bring up a little shine.

Art

Ok, so I got some pecards and I was going over what you said again, and I am not sure what "gum the flesh side" means? The front and back of the strap is dyed. So I need to make sure the back does not rub off onto my wrist. Pecards will solve that problem?

Hi Wayne,

Probably not, you will have to try it. When I say gum the flesh side, I mean to use Gum Tragacanth to finish the back, lay the fibers down as you go along. Then another coat after first dries. You can use Pecards after that. Another way (not my favorite) is to seal the back with lacquer or poly.

Art

Ok, so I got some pecards and I was going over what you said again, and I am not sure what "gum the flesh side" means? The front and back of the strap is dyed. So I need to make sure the back does not rub off onto my wrist. Pecards will solve that problem?