Vinculus

Dismantling a Rapid E outsole stitcher machine head from table for transport - HOW?!

Look into a rotary phase converter or VFD. This could be used as the power source for other machines as well.

@VinculusThe way I see the things is: with a capacitor you are using just one phase instead of three, so you have  roughly 1/3 of the  power coming to the motor. Using a variable frequency drive even with an old clutch motor works perfect for me. I have that installed for years on a leather sewing machine (sewing at low speed most of the time) and never had any over-heating issues. 

But if you are not a trained electrician you can ask one for help. 

Edited by gigi

26 minutes ago, gigi said:

@VinculusThe way I see the things is: with a capacitor you are using just one phase instead of three, so you have  roughly 1/3 of the  power coming to the motor. Using a variable frequency drive even with an old clutch motor works perfect for me. I have that installed for years on a leather sewing machine (working mostly at low speed) and never had any over-heating issues. 

But if you are not a trained electrician you can ask one for help. 

Got it. Could you link me to an affordable VFD on ebay (from China I guess) that would work? Something like this maybe? I have no idea how to hook the motor up to it though, but that can be solved.

Edited by Vinculus

I don't think I would use this one: I cannot see the output ('3 Phase') and also variable voltage and frequency so I would not buy it..

Usually, on the VFD should be precisely written the input and output number of phases and voltage. Output voltage should vary from zero to maximum (240V in our case) and a variable frequency from zero to maximum value (in my case in the picture attached is 400 Hz).  The one you linked has way too much power for your application i.m.o. On your motor nameplate I can see 220 Volts 1,7 Amps so this would be necessary for the nominal power. I think in your case a 0,75 kW VFD would be enough (like in my case also). I've bought a Japanese Yaskawa VFD from eBay.de in used (like new) condition. 

5.jpg.85c0a65be3522a4bb0a93b2482effca7.jpg

I see. How about the this? I can get that locally. I feel like an idiot since I don't know anything about these things. 

Edited by Vinculus

Don't feel like that: my husband needed very long time to learn this because of his hobby. If you don't feel comfortable with this solution, you can always use an out-of-the box solution: a servo motor.  I prefer the VFD because we think the 3 phase motor has better torque at low speed.

Looks like the one from your last link would work for your application, even though I prefer a well-known brand name for this.  Found this one for example on eBay Germany: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Omron-VS-mini-J7-CIMR-J7AZB0P7-1-1kW-0-400Hz-230V-Frequenzumrichter-Inverter/221976850054

Thanks for lending me some grace, haha. And yeah I particularly would like to avoid the ever-so-trusty servo motors because of the torque issue.

I think I changed my link after you clicked it. I actually found an Omron (well actually Yaskawa) locally. If you could take a look at the updated link, think that would work?

This link is to a seller catalog, there are many models of V1000, seems you should ask about: 'VZAB0P4BAA'. I also have a V1000 (see the one in the photo) that transforms one phase 220V electricity into three phase’s 220V electricity. Mine was bought used for about 50 Euros. Brand new could be expensive. 

If you go with VFD solution I recommend to have someone authorized doing the wiring.

Okay, then I’ll probably just buy the one you linked to on the German eBay page. The new Omron 0.75KW is €175 locally, so I might as well save a few bucks. Thanks a lot for all the help!

Wish the VFDs were a bit more bare bones with not as many settings and the digital menus though. Plug and play is my kinda deal, haha. 

Okay folks, for anyone who might need advice on how to solve this in the future, I decided not to go the VFD route. Instead I bought a new motor:

Hopefully this solves my problems. The Rapid machine has an external clutch, so I didn't need to worry about getting a clutch motor. Continuous drive is where it's at.