clivel

Edge finishing and glue bleed

My newly completed letter sized  portfolio.

20171128_083938.thumb.jpg.bc5ed04d47375712355d8027febb5076.jpg

For the most part I am very happy with how it turned out, but the one problem I have been having is finishing off the edges.  I used "LePage low odour contact cement" to assemble the portfolio prior to stitching, but I am having problems finishing the edges where the glue has bled.
The procedure I followed is sand the edges, dampen and burnish with a wooden burnisher, sand again, damp and burnish again. I then dye the edges, and once the dye has dried, I follow with Tokonole burnished with a piece of canvas. The edges turn out exactly how I would like them except for the parts where glue has been exposed leaving rubbery rough patches.

I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced this problem, what do other do to prevent if from happening?
Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Clive

I have been using the same glue for about the past year, and it seems to work well, and not cause that when used correctly. A few things to note are the usual with regular contact cement, thin layers work much better, wait until it is fully dry before assembling, and really press/hammer the pieces together. Another thing I have found with the water based contact cement is that it doesn't fully set for 24 hours, so I try to avoid doing much stitching/edge work if I can help it until that point. I have had a similar thing happen when I tried to finish the edges before it was set enough.

jdm0515,
After seeing my portfolio an acquaintance has talked me into making him the identical portfolio but only in a different colour. I will keep the points you suggest in mind.

Thanks for the advice,
Clive

Cut and assemble a little oversize, then trim to final size.  Will help avoid problems where cement ran over the edges.

Tom

Rubber doesn't burnish. Put some blue masking tape 1mm in from the edge so you've got plenty of material to dye/sand/burnish.