sebH

Osborne 84 or chinese copy of landis 30

I am searching for a vegtan leather splitter.

Did anybody ever use this copy of landis 30 :

http://www.sieck.de/en/machines/splitting/details/5110/

I am hesitating between this splitter and the osborne 84.

the main difference is the length of the blade : 8" for the osborne and 6" for the copy of the landis.

I am french, the price is more expensive for the osborne splitter than in USA. The price of this two splitters is quite similar.

Thank you for your answer.

Sébastien

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sellier-maroquinier

Salut Sébastien..that 6" ( 150mm ) splitter machine looks to be a "clone" of the Landis  by Sieck, exactly the same as is sold by Hitex as the Cowboy 8116 ( search for "Cowboy 8116" or "Hitex 8116", and you'll see what I mean ;)..so , anyone with experience of that model should be able to tell you how they perform..

Bonjour Sebastien! Ca va?

In my experience a lap skiver and a crank skiver are somewhat different and each does well at a particular task. I have one of each now (both about 7"/175mm)  but have used the lap skiver as a splitter in the past, taking a 100mm wide strip of 4mm bridle leather down to 1mm  -- a case of "use what you got". It wasn't easy and I ruined a lot of leather. It needed a perfectly stropped blade, a pair of welder's locking pliers and my foot against the bench. The crank splitter I have now I can do that same job all day long turning the wheel with one finger, with very few oopsies. However I can't do lap skives for straps with the crank splitter.

As with a lot of "which tool" questions I guess it boils down to "what do you intend to use it for"?

Salut Mike et Matt,

thank you very much for your answer. For Mike, I know that the sieck splitter is the same as the hightex, cowboysew 8116.

I have send the link of the sieck splitter, because there was more pictures  of this machine on this website.

After reading your answer Matt, I think that the crank splitter will be more usefull for me, because I had a fortuna skiver which could have the same fonction of the lap splitter like the osborne 84.

which crank splitter do you have , Matt?

Merci

sébastien

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sellier-maroquinier