Engine1

Making first pair of suspenders

I'm trying to make suspenders for the first time as a gift and I have no clue how to measure or size for them. Does anyone have basic measuring guidelines.... I'm planning on anything fancy just 3 points of attachment with an o ring in the back... I'd also like to sale these in my shop if I can figure them out. 

Take a trip to a thrift store to buy one and use it as a template making allowances for the thickness of the leather you’re using.  Maybe a sales person at a men’s store can fill you in on sizing.  Good luck and would be interested to see what you come up with.  Post when finished! 

I am currently working on a pair for myself.  I ended up using myself as a sizing guide and looking at photos on Pintrest.  I noticed that the front side of the shoulder straps have lots of room for adjustment.  I will try to post a pic or two of my progrsss.

Pic. 1.  I started the first pair, (the dyed ones), and I felt the leather was too thin for the heavy duty looking hardware.  Also, the width on the straps was off about 1/8", which meant they wouldn't fit through the buckles.  So, I started over.  Pic. 2. Is the new 8/9 oz. leather straps for the suspenders.  This leather is a bit to thick, so I am going to have to skive down the ends that get riveted.  Instead of the leather "Y", I think I am going to adjoin the three straps at a large brass ring.  I haven't totally decided that yet. 

20171219_090745.jpg

20171219_091049.jpg

Interesting, I might make some. Are you using the hook snaps on the belt loops? Think hard about the brass ring. Lying down on the floor or against a wall might be painful. Or is that the point? :) Oh wrong forum for that...

Edited by cradom

You might look at the Nov/Dec 2017  issue of LeatherCrafter and Saddlers Journal. Slickbald who has a leather shop in Colorado has a tutorial on making Braces (suspenders)

Interesting topic, that interests myself as well.

Upon doing a web search, I found a link to a previous post about suspenders construction, on this forum.

The reference to the Bruce Grant book, was helpful, being that this book is in my leather work library. Cool.

Chas

Edited by ChasCS