Hello-

I've benefited in many ways reading your posts...thank you! I just picked up a older Consew 226r. It stitches pretty well but I can't get it to produce its largest stitch (5 spI)...I have the stitch length on 5 and adjusted all the way out...the biggest stitch I can get it to make is 6spi...is there a simple adjustment/solution? thanks in advance! 

Greg

What thickness leather are you sewing? With pendulum-drive (As opposed to square-drive) needle-feed machines the stitch length reduces with increasing work thickness, even without adjusting the stitch length regulator. Just a fact of geometry.

Thanks!

Right now I'm just sewing through binding material to test the machine...I overlap it several times but its less than an 1/8 of an  inch thick. I have another 226 that stitches a perfect 5spi stitch in the same fabric.

Greg 

Edited by 1sam16

Still working on it...here are a couple pictures. Thought I had found a lead in an old 111w navy manual...but no luck...the 111w is built differently...Could it be that like the Juki 563, there is a way to check forward stitch length as I'm adjusting the reverse length? I included a link to a diagram that Bob Kovar posted some time ago...in diagram 2-a there is a hole on the main body right by the knee lift linkage...inside there is a screw....wondering what that adjusts...yes, I'm at that point  lol!...any of you have access to a good service manual?

Thanks again!

Greg 

IMG_0339.JPG

image1.jpeg

post-7185-029491400 1329570467.jpg.webloc

If you tilt the head back,hit the reverse lever,you'll see a shaft moving that has a set screw w/a locknut on it(towards the front in the middle).They set your stitch length for forward & reverse.Turn it out for a longer stitch.You will probably need to turn both of them since one is reverse length.

Thank's Bob! BTW this is Greg from Grand Rapids...is this picture the area that you're talking about? If so this all might be all my fault...When I bought the machine the reverse handle when released was banging against the body of the machine and chipping the paint...so I backed it off:)...so if I open it open it back up again is there a way to adjust the over-all movement of the reverse handle so that I maintain a 5spi max stitch and yet keep the handle from continuing to damage the machine? Greg

IMG_0344.JPG

OK… Never mind on my question I just came down to my shop and noticed the handle adjustment  on the side of the machine underneath the pulley… Thanks a ton :-) 

Hey Greg,Great,I knew you could do it.