Mujician

Flesh side finishing

I've recently made a few bookmarks from some spare leather and I'm wondering how I should finish the flesh side. I've dyed, and antiqued the front, and a little of the flesh side got antique on. I didn't want to leave it pain anyway - but what is the best practice for colouring the flesh side. Do I need to do anything to stop it being so spongey?  Should I put some resolene on then antique over that? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks

If you already got antique on it go ahead and cover the back with it. After it drys good put a little gum trag on it and burnish it. Carefully so you don't get the gum all over the front. Use a glass burnisher if you have one. 

Will using a burnisher on the back affect the tooled front? Should the back always be burnished?

Once the front is tooled and dried it shouldn't. UNLESS you use to much water or whatever you are burnishing with soaks through. I only burnish if it's fuzzy. I did nothing with the back side of this wallet because I liked the pattern the stamping left on the back side. It was also smooth and shows it's leather. IMHO some like to line everything. It's a matter of what look YOU want. 

received_10204384008075599.jpeg

I like using tokonole. You won't have to apply as much pressure burnishing with it. I love the stuff. You can find it at Rocky Mountain Leather Supply. That is the only place I know of in the states. Goodsjapan also has it, but I don't know how long the shipping would take.