Sign in to follow this  
jetech

civil war era carbine boot

I would like to make a civil war era carbine boot like this one. How can I attach the brass plate so its fasteners won't scratch the gun. I wasn't planning on a liner.

m18241b.jpg

post-1675-1181257944_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?.... Anyone.

I was initially thinking soldered studs on the back of the plate but now maybe some type of rivet with a partial liner covering the rivet where it could contact the gun.

I wonder how a stitch groove with holes cut in the metal and the plate sewn on would work.

J,

Do you have one of these brass plates in hand, that you are going to use? I would suspect that the Antique ones were fastened by bending a small tab down that was inserted through a slot.

But a picture of the actual plate you want to use would help.

Ken

Hi Ken

I don't actually have a plate yet, I was planning on using a fairly thick piece of brass sheet. I don't need to make an exact copy just something close. My 1892 replica is a little thinner than the original carbines so I will have to change the size to fit the gun.

Here is a thought for what it is worth...Why not attach the plate, then stitch in a covering piece of leather over any thing that might hit the rifle as it is going in or out...

erm sorry did you realize that that boot wasnt around untill 1887 the earlier version without the brass plate was 1884 and the civil wat version was a small ring that attatched to the stirup , you slung the carbine with the carbine sling and stuck th barrel in the ring when mounted, hope that helps a little

Don

I didn't know what year they started using the boot. I want to make something similar mainly for trail riding. I can probably use something else to hold the boot open.

I have seen the slings and rings, I was thinking about making a sling but they can be purchased at a reasonable price. If I do make one it will be because I want it brown.

Don

I didn't know what year they started using the boot. I want to make something similar mainly for trail riding. I can probably use something else to hold the boot open.

I have seen the slings and rings, I was thinking about making a sling but they can be purchased at a reasonable price. If I do make one it will be because I want it brown.

if it doesnt need a date try this, this is a holster that i made also millitary but they used it on there scabbards you stitch a piece of leather in the insid of the seam and it does keep the scabbard open

US.1881.3.jpg

post-1381-1181559709_thumb.jpg

Don

Thanks, that looks like something I might be able to do. Does the leather piece end at the top of the sheath rather than wrap over the top?

Do you have on-line pictures of your holsters.

Edited by jetech

if it doesnt need a date try this, this is a holster that i made also millitary but they used it on there scabbards you stitch a piece of leather in the insid of the seam and it does keep the scabbard open

US.1881.3.jpg

it is on the insid of the holster

it is one piece thats about 9oz thick and a slight v shape like a chevron, or you are probabbly better off making the scabbard first and working out what angle you need for the insert, you skim both ends and stitch the bottom line first then the top then stitch the main seam once its pulled together its a little tricky but not all that bad as it sounds

US.1881.2.jpg if you look at this side view you can see why the v shape

the whole view of the holster

carbineboot__Medium_.jpg

post-1381-1181593877_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197927893_thumb.jpg