Sign in to follow this  
Steve

Siegel Skirting

I was thinking about using Siegel’s skirting on the next saddle. Has anybody been using it, if so what’s your opinion of it? How does it compare to Herman Oak and can a guy get by with buying the #2 hides? This saddle is for a friend and we are trying to keep the cost as low as we can, so I though it would be a good one to try this leather on. Seems like a lot of times that I try to cut cost, it ends up costing more. Thanks Steve

Steve,

I have used about 45 sides of it. It is a little softer than Herman Oak, similar to the old Caldwell-Moser I started with. It works up better for me. I like the way it tools and oils. Occasionally I buy the second grade when they have them on special. Usually that is more for making up stuff like strap work, repair parts to cutting something I just can't get out of a saddle side. The second grade is the same tannage and works up just like the number 1s. The number 1 grade is my choice for saddles. It never fails, the butcher cut or brand will be right in the middle of a seat on all 3 sides if you order just the off grades.

Bruce Johnson

I tried some of it a few years ago and found it waay too soft. It does have a nice golden color but it just really did not have the temper I wanted. It also came with a rawhide spot right down the middle of one of the sides. Hey, ya get what ya pay for.