Hello,

I am looking for a good leather cleaner that won't change the color of the leather. I have been working with WWII leather and I have been using Lexol leather cleaner. But even though it says it's not supposed to change the color, it has darkened the leather everytime.

I know there has to be a cleaner out there that does a good job, but does not change the color. I realize it may be getting the dirt and and that's why the color changes, but that would be lighter not darker. Any help is greatly appreciated.

There are 2 leather cleaners that I use, and neither one changes the color of the leather. They both work about the same, and neither one comes from the leather store. One is Oxalic Acid. I found it at a hardware store, and they called it wood bleach. It comes in a granular form. Mix a tablespoon in a quart of water. I store it in a glass jar, because I'm sure it would eat plastic. It is poisonous, so use rubber gloves when applying it. Simply wipe it on with a rag or sponge (your sponge will disintegrate after a while), wipe it with a clean damp sponge to remove any residue, and let it dry.

The other cleaner is lemon juice. It's not poisonous. Didn't know that, did you? Just put some on your sponge, and wipe down the leather, wiping off any residue with a clean damp sponge.

Both these remove a lot of stuff, but not yak slobber. Hope this helps!

Kathy