James K

tactile marking of leather

hi all,

I am blind. I see others when doing tooling patterns and such suggest tracing them on the leather w/ an ink pen or pencil. Obviously, I cannot see the pen marks. I have read about some sort of ball point stylus to mark leather with but am wondering if others have ideas as to how I might mark leather for cutting and tooking. I have tried a scratch awl but it doesn't glide very smoothly through the leather. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

James K

Maybe craft aid. It's a raised plastic design. Thousands to choose from. Basically you placed the raised side down on the wet leather and rub the impression into the leather. This gives you the pattern to follow for cuts and tooling. Is that what you had in mind?

Tandy Craftaid now also do stainless steel templates meant for pyrograves to follow. They are s/s with the patterns cut out. So far there are only 5 or 6 in the series. You could use one of these and follow the pattern with a ball point stylus or tip of a knife