Sign in to follow this  

THE HORSE smokeout 8 chopoff

The guys at the bike shop are participating in a build-off this month. They kept telling me that there were some rules that they needed to follow. It seems that the phrase "THE HORSE smokeout 8 chopoff" must be on the bike somewhere. During Smokeout 7 most competitors ignored this rule and tried to make up for it at the last second by doing things like writing it on the side of a tire in white paint! Really amatureish. So this year they are going prepared. They didn't want to put the phrase in the paint as it may limit the appeal of the bike when they go to sell it. So they decided that the phrase was MY job to handle.

The Horse, by the way, is the motorcycle magazine who sponsers these build-offs twice a year. The first one is held in Salsbury North Carolina and the second is in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Anyway I am posting some pictures of the seat that I am making for their bike.

Dave Theobald

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

post-327-1181408350_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181408364_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181408375_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181408384_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181408395_thumb.jpg

Dave,

Beautiful as always Dave, I do think you have a winner there. The Horse Head is VERY cool.

By the way, have you tried using a "Perma-Lock" needle yet?

Ken

Dave,

Beautiful as always Dave, I do think you have a winner there. The Horse Head is VERY cool.

By the way, have you tried using a "Perma-Lock" needle yet?

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I bought one yesterday, but the lace pulls out of the needle as soon as it encounters any friction from the holes. Like I said, I make my holes rather small in comparison to the lace....I want the lace to cover as much of the hole as possible.

Dave

Thanks Ken,

I bought one yesterday, but the lace pulls out of the needle as soon as it encounters any friction from the holes. Like I said, I make my holes rather small in comparison to the lace....I want the lace to cover as much of the hole as possible.

Dave

you have to have the end of the lace trimmed properly. the needle should screw on tight and not pull out.

what size needle are you using? i have a jumbo permaloc that i use for 1/4" lace.

the seat is coming along great! i had hoped to set it in person but, don't think i'm going to have the funds to make the trip this year. i have been to the last four smokeouts

The guys at the bike shop are participating in a build-off this month. They kept telling me that there were some rules that they needed to follow. It seems that the phrase "THE HORSE smokeout 8 chopoff" must be on the bike somewhere. During Smokeout 7 most competitors ignored this rule and tried to make up for it at the last second by doing things like writing it on the side of a tire in white paint! Really amatureish. So this year they are going prepared. They didn't want to put the phrase in the paint as it may limit the appeal of the bike when they go to sell it. So they decided that the phrase was MY job to handle.

The Horse, by the way, is the motorcycle magazine who sponsers these build-offs twice a year. The first one is held in Salsbury North Carolina and the second is in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Anyway I am posting some pictures of the seat that I am making for their bike.

Dave Theobald

I don't know Dave, are ya sure a hand carved seat is going to look better than white paint on the tires???When I read all the stuff you were supposed to write on it, it seemed like just that would take up the whole seat, but once again, I am impressed! You did a great job of putting it all together. :specool: I'm sure we will get to see it finished, right?

ClayB

Great desighn and i really do like the horse and the way everything comes together with the titel good job well done

I'll be at the smokeout this year (first timer). I'm looking forward to seeing your work in person. It's awesome in the pictures.

The bike you refered to with the "smokeout" on the tire was the Indian Larry Legacy entry, far, far from amateur. (not that I take offense to the comment, but they build some of the nicest bikes I've ever seen in my life.) You should checkout some of Paul Cox's work, he does all their leather work.

That particular bike you mentioned actually had a leather strap as the sole method of holding the gas tank on.

Oops, I apologize for hijacking your thread just wanted to add my 2cents.

Edited by JohnD

I'll be at the smokeout this year (first timer). I'm looking forward to seeing your work in person. It's awesome in the pictures.

The bike you refered to with the "smokeout" on the tire was the Indian Larry Legacy entry, far, far from amateur. (not that I take offense to the comment, but they build some of the nicest bikes I've ever seen in my life.) You should checkout some of Paul Cox's work, he does all their leather work.

That particular bike you mentioned actually had a leather strap as the sole method of holding the gas tank on.

Oops, I apologize for hijacking your thread just wanted to add my 2cents.

No problem John, I knew who made the bike I just didn't want to mention their name. But now that it has be brought up...... I know that they are not amatures but white paint on the tire? That was one butt ugly solution. They made the coolest bikes when Indian Larry was there; but, frankly their Legacy work doesn't impress me that much at all. Lots of really do-dad kinds of embellishments that Larry would never have tolerated. There is nothing really cool and new coming from them. Nearly every bike they make now has a panhead rocker box and a shovelhead rocker box....something Indian Larry did on his last bikes. Some of their gas tanks are really cool....like when they split the oil tank as part of the gas tank.....very unique....of course it makes the bike less ridable because it holds less gas; but other tanks are absolutely ugly like when the put fins (Love Monkey) and crap on them. If you want to see really beautiful bikes done in the Indian Larry style, look at the work being done by Jeff Cochran and Donny Loos. I've paid ommage to Paul Cox in other posts....His leather work is really great....but I've also said in other posts (other sites) that Beeze's tooling work is equally clean and technically as good as anything Paul Cox has done. If you gave Beeze the budget that Paul Cox has.... I would stand in line to see the results.

Beeze,

I've had the lace screwed in as tight as it will go, and the second the needle (jumbo) passes clear through the leather, the holes grab the lace and pull it from the needle. It was a good idea, I just use holes that are too small to make the needles a feasable solution for me....and I really don't like the look of bigger holes.

Dave Theobald

PS John, watch yourself there, the smokeout can get pretty...........uh.....wild <======understatement

Edited by David

I looked at all the pics , more then once. I haven't read ever thing posted in this thread ( reading is so over rated ) so i'm not sure who designed the art work. My comments are for both, the actual art work and the tooling. It's as simple as simple can get, or so you made it look. While being extremely clean and yet having depth . The lettering is so clean and "vivid" . It just blows me away. I Love It !!!

Now. don't even get me started on cookie cutter bikes.

interesting david... i make my hole a bit smaller than the jumbo needle and let the tapered head of the needle open the hole. it is wider than the 1/4" lace i am working with

i had another thought

what about making a 1/4" thonging chisel? then the leather would be tight with the lace and be easier to pull.

also, what about trying a filligree punch?

i have a diamond shaped punch that is .28" x .15"

thanks for the compliment dave!

i only wish i could demand $1800.00 minimum for a seat and have a

1 1/2 year waiting list... paul is a good dode and does great work but, i could never justify that kind of cash for a seat.

i would love to have the tools that kind of green would buy :)

i only wish i could demand $1800.00 minimum for a seat and have a

1 1/2 year waiting list...

It's all about the name attached to the work. One day Beeza we will have that name as well, just keep doing what your doing. It only takes one sale to the right person, and viola....you will have the name required to charge that.

Ken

Beeze...you're talking that kind of money and spending it on tools?? I would be ordering a new fancy-shmancy computer..Oh, wait, that's a tool, too, isn't it?

One thing Beeze and David do that I really admire is the initial design work. Lettering like that is one of the hardest things to do (everyone is glancing at the scrap box and nodding!) and so is "pulling it all together" which both of you do well. David incorporated everything they wanted into the seat without making it look messy or silly. Not an easy job! (Ask any tattoo artist!) I hope to see it finished, too- don't forget a picture or 10, David! Nice!

Johanna

Thanks for all the compliments guys. About the artwork on the seat.....the words The Horse ... that type face is from their magazine cover.... The cigar smoking horse .... that is a magazine trademark. The flamed smokeout type face is from an ad for the event. The eight ball was used on one of their posters and the chop off type face is from a poster they made.

I've been around advertising art long enough to know that clients like to see their artwork used and used and used... So my combination of all these elements was a clear case of pandering to a client's ego. I used a lot of familiar elements in a different layout to produce what I hope is a cohesive looking design on its own.

The seat is now laced and waiting for color.

Dave Theobald

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

post-327-1181490868_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181490892_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181490912_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181490939_thumb.jpg

post-327-1181490956_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments guys. About the artwork on the seat.....the words The Horse ... that type face is from their magazine cover.... The cigar smoking horse .... that is a magazine trademark. The flamed smokeout type face is from an ad for the event. The eight ball was used on one of their posters and the chop off type face is from a poster they made.

I've been around advertising art long enough to know that clients like to see their artwork used and used and used... So my combination of all these elements was a clear case of pandering to a client's ego. I used a lot of familiar elements in a different layout to produce what I hope is a cohesive looking design on its own.

The seat is now laced and waiting for color.

Dave Theobald

Very Cool!