charlesskelter

Help me do this belt properly

OK,  I've watched several belt videos but as I've gone looking again they are missing the info I'm looking for.  In the past I made two "belts" that were basically just a strap with a buckle, stamping and painted with some less than stellar edging.  I cringe just thinking about them.  

What I have now and what I've done so far:

1 1/2" belt, cut to size.  Cut out for buckle.  Cut end.  Edge grooved. Made stitching holes in groove. Edged belt. 

Now I need to know the best order to finish it up.  I need to dye it (black) front, back and sides.  I need to smooth the fibers down on the back.  Edge it.  Seal it and stitch it.  

Last time I dyed the back side of some veg-tan (a sheath I made) it got extremely stiff and obviously I don't want that to happen in my belt.  Did I do something wrong to cause this?  Just cheap leather (it was Tandy leather)?  Thanks for any tips and insight!

Dyeing leather normally causes it to dry out.  You will need to apply neats foot oil on the grain side and that should make it a bit more pliable.  Then buff the heck out of it so the black dye doesn’t rub off.  Then finish as usual.

Gary is right about the Neats foot oil, but it also depends on the type of dye you use, if you use alcohol based dye it REALLY dries out the leather. But if you can find some oil based dye, thats the best, it will be more expensive, but worth every penny. And you will still want to apply the Neats foot oil and buff it. Also, if you apply a little bee's wax to the edges after you buff them, the dye is a lot less likely to "bleed" onto your clothes in warm weather or when workin' and sweatin'.