oakenlander

"Made In USA" FTC Compliance

Hey all! I was reading through the info on qualified and non-qualified origin statements and I'm wondering whether or not an item made in the USA with domestic leather would qualify if German thread was being used. It's not really a major part of the product (to a point). To me, the major parts would be the leather and any functional hardware. This example from the FTC website has me curious. Thoughts/experience?

"Example: A company produces propane barbecue grills at a plant in Nevada. The product’s major components include the gas valve, burner and aluminum housing, each of which is made in the U.S. The grill’s knobs and tubing are imported from Mexico. An unqualified Made in USA claim is not likely to be deceptive because the knobs and tubing make up a negligible portion of the product’s total manufacturing costs and are insignificant parts of the final product."

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard

Good to know, Mike. Thanks!

The thread is the only imported component at the moment; the leather and hardware are manufactured in the USA.

From what I remember, if 51% or more of the product value is from parts and labor from the USA, you can consider it made in the USA for export purposes.

Gary

Excellent. I guess it might be time to buy another stamp.