jasonb159

Sewing waxed canvas and leather. Best machines?

Hey all!

I'm currently in the market for a sewing machine capable of sewing waxed canvas and up to 5 oz of leather (think totes, etc.). I currently have a Cobra Class 4 I use for the heavy stuff but I'm needing something better suited for lighter weighted material. I've looked into the cobra class 18-20, the techsews, and others. I see many use Consews as well as Juki's and others.  I know pretty much any of these will do the job but price is a factor as well and would really appreciate any thoughts/feedback. I live in the Nashville area if anyone knows a great place to visit to test out various machines.  Also, I really think one that you can sit at with a table will be better suited than a cylinder arm.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, jasonb159 said:

Hey all!

I'm currently in the market for a sewing machine capable of sewing waxed canvas and up to 5 oz of leather (think totes, etc.). I currently have a Cobra Class 4 I use for the heavy stuff but I'm needing something better suited for lighter weighted material. I've looked into the cobra class 18-20, the techsews, and others. I see many use Consews as well as Juki's and others.  I know pretty much any of these will do the job but price is a factor as well and would really appreciate any thoughts/feedback. I live in the Nashville area if anyone knows a great place to visit to test out various machines.  Also, I really think one that you can sit at with a table will be better suited than a cylinder arm.

Thanks!

Give Robeson Sewing down in Franklin a call, they may have something that suits you, and they are friendly and helpful. Not a long drive from Nashville.

Nick-O-Sew is about a three hour drive and they have many used models.

Most any basic flat bed upholstery class machine will work for you. Total budget and preference for features determines final choice. How much do you have to drop on a new machine or are you strictly looking for used?

There is no question in my mind, I would take a look at Roberson. The time I have spent on their site just looking at used machines they have aquired is a lot. Their contact, quote page, in my experience is good. The response times in my past beit several years ago was in short order.

I think the time taken to talk with anyone buying and refitting or re-selling used equipment at scale is interesting. In such a  short distance from that option it would be  a good choice in my opinion and an experience for any future. Im sure they have a person or two that is doing some technical adjustments and repair also. 

Good day

Floyd

If you are planning on sewing a lot of canvas then buy a machine, but if its just a bit then your present machine can handle a blanket foot and needles down to about 130