JRLeather2

My stitching pony and some special tools....

I have been stitching by hand for over 3 decades. I thought I would share a couple of little tricks that I use.  The first pic shows where I mounted an earth magnet, one on each side to keep track of my needles when I am stitching.

The second pic shows, (somewhat), the hydraulic table that I used as my base for my stitching poy. It works much the same as an office chair. This happened to come from a boat. Fully extended it is the right height for me to stand while stitching. When collapsed it is short enough to stash under my bench.

The last pic is some tools I use when stitching.I use the edger as a thread cutter, able to get very close to the leather surface with this. The pliers are a normal pair of slip joint pliers that I disabled the slip joint so they only operate in the small jaw configuration. The small divot you see on the pliers, ( one on each side), I use as a way to push the needles through the tough spots, such as when backstitching. The little piece of scrap I use to push the needle through the back side of my stash. The hole is a thumb hole and it rests in my palm when working. 

Earth Magnet.jpg

Hydraulic table.jpg

Stitching tools.jpg

Edited by Northmount
Fixed pic order

I like what you did with the pliers. Beats hurting your thumbs.  I’m going to give the edger idea a shot tonight!  

Thanks for sharing. 

Great ides all. I especially like the magnet idea. 

What is it you did to disable the slip joint on the pliers? 

Thank you for sharing.

10 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

Great ides all. I especially like the magnet idea. 

What is it you did to disable the slip joint on the pliers? 

Thank you for sharing.

I put a leather plug in the hole and an oversized washer to hold it in place.