RSimpson

Singer 201 refurbish

Hello to group.  I am a new member and this is my first post.  I am new to leather work as I just started about 8 to 10 months ago.  I was not interested in using a sewing machine, BUT, while making a purse strap out of folded chrome tanned, I realized that at least one sewing machine was going to be handy.  My better half has put into my care a Singer 201-2 that she bought for the case it came in.  The machine has been used isn't too awfully bad.  Having said that, the machine does have issues.  So I have decided that aside from the other hats I've worn, I am now going to tackle sewing machine refurbishing.  I have looked at manuals, watched videos and read articles but have not come up with the answer to this question.  Does the textolite gear on the balance wheel and/or the spiral gear on the motor shaft get any lubrication?  Apparently from pictures that I have seen of ones for sale on eBay, people have been greasing them in varying degrees.  I have never heard of greasing a composite gear before because the fiber in the resin may absorb some of the grease and weaken.

The 201-2 while a great machines is still just a home machine and not going to sew leather very well.  Here are the general guidelines to oiling - Oil anything that moves other than the motor and belt, since this is a direct drive, the belt is a non issue, but you get the idea.

5a9db435eb10f_Singer201-2Lube.thumb.jpg.9e90b7f25a8d4d4d0e13eb9415fd4995.jpg

the only place i know of to grease is the grease cups under the thumbscrew and flathead hear the potted motor, i think these are similar to the 15-91 that i have which by the way sews leather decently.  I'm using #69 with leather needles and have been able to sew wallets and a few other things.  Now is it going to stitch a holster together, nope.  I do like it for wallet pockets to liner etc tho.  Now if i could just sew for darn I'd be set...lol.

Sew classic site  has free downloads for vintage singer home machines including lubrication including those gears. They are greased by packing the cups Koreric mentioned. If you remove the handwheel you will get a much better view of how all that works. The Sew Classic site advises using vaseline if you don't have the old style singer grease. Does seem strange that a composite gear needs grease but they do. You are limited to sewing only rather thin leather on that machine.and it gives it a workout. Not something I'd recommend doing with any regularity if you want the machine to last. HTH.

Thanks all for the replies.  Some excellent advice and technical advice.  After finishing the cleaning, oiling and minor adjustments, the grease issue is solved by letting what ever grease migrates its way to the gears be the answer.  By filling the cups a small amount of grease does make it's way to the prestolite gear.  So be it.  Thanks again all.