Sign in to follow this  
ABR

Hi, I am a new member from Utah.  I started doing leather work when I was in high school.  When I was 16 I bought my first horse and a saddle.  That was all I could afford so I had to make the rest of my tack and gear.  I  made tack and other related items for several years then I served in the U.S. Army.  I was involved in construction for 45 years.  During the 1980's and early 90's I also had a leather and nylon business, but had to give it up because of the time required and couldn't do both.  I am through with construction and I am starting my leather business again along with making small wood cabinets.  I bought a Consew 206rb in 1992 from Ferdco and still have it.  I have sewn a lot of leather by hand and still use twisted polyester threads that I can taper so I can use smaller needles. 

I really appreciate the information on this Forum and enjoy reading the posts.

Thank you

Welcome to the forum.  I got my horse when I was about 12 or so.  Couldn't afford a saddle.  Used an old bridle with blinkers that my grandfather gave me.  It was in brand new condition.  Rode bareback all the time.  Decided to take up leatherwork so I could fix a really old saddle so I could use it.  That was about 60 years ago.  The saddle is long gone, never got it fixed up.  My horse is long gone too!  Life is what happens when you are making other plans!

Tom

I looked at your website, you have some good quality work.  I make  a lot of folding knife sheaths, formed and folded, wallets, card holders, belts, I also do saddle repair and restoration.  In the past I have made nylon bags and panniers for pack saddles and I made and sold some wooden kitchen pack boxes to use with sawbuck pack saddles.  I also made from scratch 4 sawbuck pack saddles, wood trees and full rigging.   I still have 1 of them, it has never been used.

ABR

2 hours ago, ABR said:

I looked at your website, you have some good quality work.  I make  a lot of folding knife sheaths, formed and folded, wallets, card holders, belts, I also do saddle repair and restoration.  In the past I have made nylon bags and panniers for pack saddles and I made and sold some wooden kitchen pack boxes to use with sawbuck pack saddles.  I also made from scratch 4 sawbuck pack saddles, wood trees and full rigging.   I still have 1 of them, it has never been used.

ABR

Thanks ABR, show us some photos.  Everyone likes to see photos of work, both successes and learnings from things that didn't go quite right.  Helps us all learn and improve.

Tom

I will get some pictures soon.  I will have to get some help with putting pictures on this site, I am not very computer literate.