llO0DQLE

How to dye stitching?

Hello, newbie here. I bought a Crossbreed Crossover leather belt that came with white stitching. I was contemplating on dyeing the stitching brown. Is this possible? If so, what kind of dye should I use? Would this potentially bleed/spill and wreck the leather itself? Thanks in advance.

Probably not possible.  Checked their website and they say thread used is nylon, plus it probably is waxed.  It could certainly be restitched with brown thread.  Website also says thread is recessed, in other words sitting down in a groove, so hard to access.

sorry!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think I've read that it may be waxed so I was wondering about that. What's up with nylon being the material? Doesn't absorb dye well? I thought about restitching but I don't think they do it by hand so I could probably not replicate the quality even if I tried. I'm not familiar with what it means that the thread is recessed/sitting down in a groove. I can see the stitch in the front and back but interestingly, the color of the thread is different on the backside of the belt. Also, I think Crossbreed says that they use two layers of leather glued together for the belt. I'm wondering if there's two sets of stitching? Sorry, no idea about belt making at all..

A. Nylon thread is basically a plastic. It won't absorb dye. Its made in different colours. It can be surface coloured but that will rub off with any use

b. A shallow groove is cut or impressed into the leather as a track for the thread to sit down into. It saves it from most wear & tear

c. Two pieces of leather have been stuck together and the sewing has helped join them. A different coloured thread on one side just means they used a different colour thread in the bobbin of the sewing machine

d. the only option to re-colour the thread is to un-pick that already done and re-sew,  by machine or hand. In this case by hand as the holes are already there, sewing again by machine will mean extra holes and the thread not lining up with the holes present. Unlike cloth, once there is a hole in leather, its there forever