Here's my second attempt at an ebook cover using the laser to engrave the leather.

The front is 3mm thick leather, the back is 2mm.
The pearlescent blue is angelus leather paint, on a Fiebings Royal blue background.

The laser cutting is definitely getting better. I'm quite pleased with this one.

ebookback.jpg

ebookfront.jpg

Nice!  I like that!  I don't have a clue about laser cutting but it looks nice and clean.  Really nice dye job!  

Please explain 'Laser cutting' and the cost involved :)

Sam

On 01/04/2018 at 1:03 AM, ComputerDoctor said:

Please explain 'Laser cutting' and the cost involved :)

Sam

Hi Sam

Ok - more details:

Laser is an LS3020 desktop laser: http://hpclaser.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=92 It's a hobby machine and not cheap.
My husband bought it for doing laser cutting /  engraving on wood.

Since we already have the machine, I've been experimenting with using it on leather. 1st attempt was OK, this is much better.

You give the laser cutter your design (imported from Adobe illustrator or something similar), tell it how powerful you want the cuts and speed you want it to go, then let it get on with it. I'm using just about the lowest power and speed, otherwise it will burn right through the leather.

Thanks stormdevil for the info and the link that had some interesting facts! Maybe someday I can justify the expense, like someday I would like a leather sewing machine for that professional look:)

Take care!

Sam