BoulevardEast

Heat pressing vinyl lettering onto veg tan leather

Tried multiple searches but couldn't find anything. If y'all find conversations, please tag so we're not rehashing the same question.  Thanks!!

So, we're working with a local designer who creates his own shirts, jackets and canvas totes.  They heat press vinyl lettering and custom designs in-house (literally their kitchen) and are interested in a collab where they heat press some vinyl designs/letters onto a few different leather pieces we're designing.  My question is, has anyone tried heat pressing vinyl onto leather, and if so, how did it turn out?  I'm familiar with foil printing, but our designs won't allow for this process.  It's a mixed medium design involving vinyl print, acrylic paint and spray paint.  Sounds ridiculous, I know, but it's happening.

I did test press some vinyl letters onto our veg leather today and feel it will not hold up with a bit of use, but we'll see.  Any advice, experiences, etc. are appreciated!!

I don't have much experience with veg-tan, but do have experience with latigo and chrome-tan leathers. Because of the oils and dyes that are a part of the tanning process, the leather is sealed to some degree. This keeps these leathers from accepting the heat processed glues uses for sealing vinyl. 

@LatigoAmigo I figured that to be the case with any waxy or oiled leathers. Wonder if we can get the leather screen printed like a t-shirt.  Any idea what type of paint they use and if it would adhere to leather nicely?

It's sure worth a try. The paint used for screen printing is referred to as "ink" and is water based. Some of it can be heat-set which might help it adhere to the leather. Since a leather hide is not completely flat, you might be challenged to keep your image from distorting. 

Here is a link to the topic of screen printing on leather: https://jacquardproducts.com/forums/discussion/39874/printing-on-leather/p1

I heat press logos onto Latigo all the time.  I use the the metallic stretch in gold from JSI Signs. Heavy pressure and a cool peel.
I've tried scraping it off and can't.  I can use acetone and remove it, but that's about it.

https://shop.jsisigns.com/perfecpress-metallic-stretch-soft-foil-sheets--sheets-p10.aspx