Sign in to follow this  
skipj

Guild meetings

Our guild, O-MI-O, has lost, well can't afford, our present meeting place. It was affordable, free, and at one time, centrally located. We are a very small guild with a very small treasury so we are looking for somewhere we can meet free. None of our members has a house we can use for meetings so I thought I'd ask the group. We inquired at our local Tandy's store and they don't seem interested in hosting us. Perhaps they feel are meeting there would be to their disadvantage, or just impractical. Everywhere in my hometown I've looked at so far, community center, library, just rents.

I wondered where other groups meet.

Thanks Skip

A savvy Tandy manager should encourage a guild, and get everyone's phone numbers. That's a shame that your local store isn't supportive of O-Mi-O, an established guild.

Are there any local churches or schools that might give you space? Maybe you could offer classes in exchange, or something.

Johanna

Skip,

The guild I belong to meets at a Tandy. Since it is a 70 mile drive, also a good excuse for me to pick up the HL stuff and the stuff they won't ship at all now. I would wager that nearly everyone comes in with a shopping list and checks out at the cash register when the meeting ends. We meet at 5:30 on a Saturday, so the store is closed, no interruption of business. The manger and assistant are guild members (we might comp their dues, not sure). Might bring this up to the Tandy manager.

Another suggestion might be to contact a senior citizen's center or retirement center. They usually have an activities room that is mostly open. They also usually have an activities director begging for someone to have a program going. Might be a deal to have the guild meeting and then a crafts program for residents.

ANNNND, this is a great way to get rid of scrap. We just had the Scrap Dilemma thread going over on the saddle side. I am going to borrow a quote (I am thinking of having this fonted out nicely and framed). From my friend, Go2Tex who says, "Well, as they say, one man's scrap is another man's future key fob".

Hi Skip,

That is something you should discuss with Jim Linnel as that store manager possibly has a screw loose. Using his store as a meeting place would definately produce sales and he does work on commission. You might offer to meet after the store closes or make arrangments for Tandy's convienance but unless they are under the impression that they already have your business or you would in some way decrease their sales (not likely), you need to try again or go higher up the food chain.

Art

Our guild, O-MI-O, has lost, well can't afford, our present meeting place. It was affordable, free, and at one time, centrally located. We are a very small guild with a very small treasury so we are looking for somewhere we can meet free. None of our members has a house we can use for meetings so I thought I'd ask the group. We inquired at our local Tandy's store and they don't seem interested in hosting us. Perhaps they feel are meeting there would be to their disadvantage, or just impractical. Everywhere in my hometown I've looked at so far, community center, library, just rents.

I wondered where other groups meet.

Thanks Skip