Sign in to follow this  
Peter Ellis

Accidents!

I'm feeling particularly lucky just now, because the accident I had did *not* involve me getting hurt beyond a little singe on the tip of one finger.

I've been working on stitching together a fairly large project for a number of hours. To sew the hardened saddle skirting I drill holes with a Dremel tool. Awls just won't do for this material, and a drill press is impractical for numerous reasons.

It was going along, slowly but steadily, when I had a little accident with the Dremel. Lost my grip, bobbled it, got it away from the project but the hot bit and my fingertip made contact somewhere in there and I wasn't able to catch the tool.

It fell past the table and got hung up on my jeans... at a point to make one nervous. Grabbed the still running handset, pulled it away and turned it off.. then noticed the bit was missing. Looked down for the bit... and removed it from my jeans. :blink:

I'm taking a break :bike:

I'm feeling particularly lucky just now, because the accident I had did *not* involve me getting hurt beyond a little singe on the tip of one finger.

I've been working on stitching together a fairly large project for a number of hours. To sew the hardened saddle skirting I drill holes with a Dremel tool. Awls just won't do for this material, and a drill press is impractical for numerous reasons.

It was going along, slowly but steadily, when I had a little accident with the Dremel. Lost my grip, bobbled it, got it away from the project but the hot bit and my fingertip made contact somewhere in there and I wasn't able to catch the tool.

It fell past the table and got hung up on my jeans... at a point to make one nervous. Grabbed the still running handset, pulled it away and turned it off.. then noticed the bit was missing. Looked down for the bit... and removed it from my jeans. :blink:

I'm taking a break :bike:

I can relate- been there, done that- scary as hell when the dremel is twisting up the leg of your pants :horse: way, way too close to 'the good ole boys', (so to speak).

Really glad you weren't hurt, Peter... You must have a guardian angel looking out for you! :innocent:

I don't use any power tools when working with leather, so my mishaps are usually limited to something minor like pricking a finger. But I've had some more serious wounds caused by belt sanders, etc., so I know what you're talking about when you say how lucky you feel!

:) Alex

Yeeeoooww! Maybe you'd better fashion some armour for the Crown Jewels.

Linda

Got my attention. I hand-stitch using a Dremel. You just kicked my "caution" up a notch.

LOL no i shouldnt but reading that story sure put a smile on my face after a hard days work, ive stuck the awl in my fingers a couple of times but somthing like that would sertainly make me take a break for a few hours

LOL no i shouldnt but reading that story sure put a smile on my face after a hard days work, ive stuck the awl in my fingers a couple of times but somthing like that would sertainly make me take a break for a few hours

Giving blood to the project from needles and awls is "all" in a day's work :) I'm not so used to being attacked by power tools. :unsure:

And laughing about it - no worries, me too.