Hi All!

I've been scouring the forum for quite a while, and I found some beautiful bar stools tooled and upholstered by members.  What I can't seem to find is any description of how the sides of the padded cushion are attached to the base of the stool.

I'm planning to cut out a circle for the top of the stool, tool the heck out of it, and sew it to about 2-3 inches of soft upholstery leather (or is vegtan also usable???) so it squishes when you sit down on it.  But I can't seem to find a video or description of how you attach the sides of the leather to the wooden top of the round stool.  Tacks?  Staples??  No clue.

The wooden stool I have looks like the attached photo.  I'm hoping to make a leather seat constructed like the one pictured (but without the braid) that will attach to the wooden stool.  Any guidance and photos of the underside of a finished stool would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Corey C.

www.theleathergeek.com

stool.jpg

stool top.jpg

My guess, is that they are nailed or stapled to the underside of the seat. that is usually how an upholsters' attack leather/fabric to wood

Well, the Taylor stool is mine, and the problem you're having is the kind of stool you are starting with.  I used a stool with a swivel seat and it has an internal core that I upholstered.  You will need to create a physical stand off of the height you want, then add a 2 inch foam disc on top and then upholster appropriately.  Otherwise, what you end up with is a short seat with no sides to work with.  It can still look good but it wont look like mine.

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7789.jpg

I guess I was way off then.  Not sure I have the tools to create a physical stand.  Do you think it would be possible for me to skip the straight sides?  If I bought 2 inches of foam cut to a circle and just made one solid leather cover that stretched over the foam and stapled to the bottom of the seat, would that work?  Or would that be awful? Hmm. I'm out of my comfort zone on this project, but I really want to try.

Thanks for the guidance!

Corey

If you choose that route, upholstery leather is the way to go.  You can sew a circle of carved veg tan on top of that for a cool look.

Thanks Mike!  I'm gonna give it my best shot, and post the finished work here.  (just incase others want to give this route a try)

Hopefully I get to find a cool stool with a base like yours, and then try your method too!  But for now, I'm just experimenting with something to sit on in my workshop, so it doesn't matter if it's not perfect. lol

Thanks again for the help!

Corey

Give me a shout if you have any questions.