Sign in to follow this  
JustWakinUp

Introduction

Hello everyone,

Thanks to the admin for permissions to post etc.

Anyway, im new to the forum and am extremely interested in becoming a leatherworker.

My main inspiration is from a few of you folks doing some insane work after a couple of

years of training.

My story starts out with my motorcycle seat that makes my legs fall

asleep. I'm sure you all can understand my concern for my own safety and I need something

else to do during the winter months instead of turn my computer into the most expensive

solitaire machine. So via this forum I've found kemmler products which was a HUGE

bonus because i've been looking for not only closed cell foam but their polymers as well. It

was an unexpected find but a very welcomed one.

The goal here is to design my very own, my very first, leather motorcycle seat from scratch.

That means learning how to tool leather. Getting the tools, learning the trade and enjoying somehting

other than my odds at making all the cards spin around on my computer monitor.

This leads me to my next few questions.

1) How to get started

2) Where to buy the tools

3) What books to read/DVD's to watch etc

4) How to find a leather tooling jedi looking for a 36yr :mad: old apprentice.

(Damn i just told everyone my age, oh well this is after all the introduction forum)

So if any of you can start pointing me in the propper direction i would surely appreciate it.

Thanks a ton :notworthy: ,

Regards,

JustWakinUp

Hello to you and welcome,

I'm pretty much just starting out myself, so I might not have the best answers to your questions. My opinion would be to pick up a starter kit from tandy( http://tandyleatherfactory.com/ )and try a few small projects to see how you like doing it.

The only book I've bought so far is Al Stohlman's hand stitching book http://tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=61944-00 I bought the kit that came with the book and tools http://tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=11189-00 and it is well worth it.

I've had other books recommended to me but haven't gotten around to getting any others yet, so I can't weigh in on that.

Most of what I've learned has come from talking to members here and reading through the threads, which I've been through every thread in every topic a few times. there's a ton of info on the web, also, but this place is the best.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy yourself and if it makes you feel any better I'm 36 too.

John

Fixed the links~~Johanna

Edited by Johanna

There is a book that Tandy sells for about $3 called the abcs of leatherwork, and it includes a quick reference to sewing, lacing, carving, setting hardware (snaps, rivets etc) and the tools needed for these things and more I've forgotten at the moment, I'm sure. When I was a Tandy manager back in the dinosaur ages, we gave the books away with large orders. For someone starting out, it provides a clear overview and the "how-to" for basic leather work. As you start to collect the basics of a shop, buy Al Stohlman's "Leathercraft Tools" for about $10. If you are interested in fabrication, the holster book or the case books are great. Al Stohlman also did several good books on the art of carving leather. If anyone wants to know why Al Stohlman is considered the "Father of Leatherwork" or leathercraft (Tandy has always preferred to use "craft" rather than "work", perhaps to imply the "fun"?) it is because HE WROTE THE BOOKS. Some of you could expand on what he did, or write better books (hint hint), but until then, I would steer a sincere newbie straight to Al. His books provide a solid foundation.

Johanna

When I got into leatherwork (craft) around this time last year, I had a few extra dollars and bought the Ultimate Starter kit from Tandy. They have stores all over the place so I went to my local here in Chattanooga and bought it there...

http://tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=55512-01

The list price is 799.99 but you go in and buy a 30 dollar membership (which I need to renew) you get the membership (wholesale) price of 639.99. Some people might say it isnt worth it.... To me starting out, it was very much worth it... there are only a very few things in the kit that I have not used to date. Now I have purchased several more tools in adition to the set, but it gives you everything you need to start out with... all the reading material is good, you get a tooling surface, and a cutting surface and a decent knife with a decent blade, and many other things... I think the only thing in the kit that I really have not used is the sharpening stone which I bought a grinder setup like hidecrafter sells (actually the guy at my tandy has one set up on his work bench there at tandy but he would not tell me where to get it.... but I found it on ebay before I found it at HideCrafter - Hidecrafters catalog can be viewed/downloaded here: http://www.hidecrafter.com/uploads/Hide_Cr...Catalog__10.pdf

The sharpener I use is on page 43 on the bottom left. Works great and it can be used to polish other metals other than blades too...

Other than that... you will pick up tools and what not as you go... it all depends on what your focus is going to be...

Welcome to the forum as well.

Mikey

Oh... unknown to me when i got it.... all my tools that should have been sharp were not.... and needed to be sharpened and polished out of the box.... no one told me this when i bought my kit.... I learned the hard way....

Hi All,

Mikey has a good point but I will go him one better. Get yourself a tax number and with that, set-up a resellers account with Tandy. Just go to your nearest store with your tax number and set it up, it doesn't cost anything. That $799 kit that Mikey bought for $639 (which is a good deal) will now cost you $450 (sorry Mikey). Now why as a Tandy stockholder would I be telling you this as opposed to just letting you go along with buying at retail or using the $30 (thank you very much) membership prices? Simple, you will buy more product this way and it will get you into leather deeper. You will find that with a reseller account, you don't have to shop around as much for prices because you are getting pretty much the lowest price and if you have a local store and pick-up your order, there isn't any shipping. Once you are setup with a reseller account, it is good at any Tandy and if you log in, your prices show up on the internet too. This is just a win/win situation with the only drawback maybe being a little reseller paperwork at the end of the year, but if you are selling at local fairs etc. you already have to do that.

Another thing, our own Clay Miller is now the store manager of the new Tandy in downtown (really, right at 7th and Main, 514 Seventh Street) Rapid City SD, 57701. The telephone is 605-342-2221. If you order by phone, order through Clay so he can get his new store started fast. If you order through the website, it will go to your local store. Clay has worked for TLF for more than three years at the stores in Albuquerque and Colorado Springs. Congratulations Clay!

Art

When I got into leatherwork (craft) around this time last year, I had a few extra dollars and bought the Ultimate Starter kit from Tandy. They have stores all over the place so I went to my local here in Chattanooga and bought it there...

http://tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=55512-01

The list price is 799.99 but you go in and buy a 30 dollar membership (which I need to renew) you get the membership (wholesale) price of 639.99. Some people might say it isnt worth it.... To me starting out, it was very much worth it... there are only a very few things in the kit that I have not used to date. Now I have purchased several more tools in adition to the set, but it gives you everything you need to start out with... all the reading material is good, you get a tooling surface, and a cutting surface and a decent knife with a decent blade, and many other things... I think the only thing in the kit that I really have not used is the sharpening stone which I bought a grinder setup like hidecrafter sells (actually the guy at my tandy has one set up on his work bench there at tandy but he would not tell me where to get it.... but I found it on ebay before I found it at HideCrafter - Hidecrafters catalog can be viewed/downloaded here: http://www.hidecrafter.com/uploads/Hide_Cr...Catalog__10.pdf

The sharpener I use is on page 43 on the bottom left. Works great and it can be used to polish other metals other than blades too...

Other than that... you will pick up tools and what not as you go... it all depends on what your focus is going to be...

Welcome to the forum as well.

Mikey

Oh... unknown to me when i got it.... all my tools that should have been sharp were not.... and needed to be sharpened and polished out of the box.... no one told me this when i bought my kit.... I learned the hard way....