mick86

Hello. Newbie to leather craft.

Hello. I have been making knives for a while now and just the other day, made my first sheath. It was my first time working with leather so its not perfect but I thoroughly enjoyed working with the leather. I purchased a very cheap kit from ebay consisting of thread's needles, awl, stamps, thread spacer punch things and more (I dont know the correct terms for any of them yet.) was $40 for 40 pieces or so. I watched a youtube vid and decided to do my own version of what they done for a sheath. I ran into a few problems but in the end it came up good enough. Id like to learn more about working with leather to improve on my sheaths and make other leather things. Going to try a small rune bag today and give the pattern stamps a go. 

Edited by mick86

Hello Mick 86, and welcome to the forum

I also started making knives, then moved to making the sheaths, then other leatherwork

As with any new hobby there is so much to learn at once, but you can find a lot of information from looking through previous threads, especially on Getting Started & Leather Tools. Similarly there are loads of videos on YouTube,; watch as many as you have the stamina for. Those by Nigel Armitage, Jacklore, and Ian Atkinson/Leodis Leather are especially good 

Thanks for the info Zulidog. Will check those channels out :) 

And POIDH!

Welcome fellow newbie! This is the place to be! Great info, helpful people.

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

And POIDH!

Pictures are in a separate post called My first knife sheath. (First time working with leather)

1 hour ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Welcome fellow newbie! This is the place to be! Great info, helpful people.

Thanks ScoobyNewbie. Has already helped a lot :)