EricD

Help with new machine setup

Hello, 

I am trying to get this new consew p1206rb sewing reliably. I do not think it was ever tuned up after assembly. It came without a manual but I downloaded one from consew.

Out of the box, I checked tensions, oiled everything, it would not stitch or even grab the bobbin thread. I believe the issue was excessive space between the needle and hook point. I carefully closed the gap without rotating anything.

I figured that if the needle-hook gap was excessive, that other adjustments were potentially also out of wack, or should at least be verified. I made a referance mark on the hook and needle bar. Turns out he needle bar has no factory marks! So I can only hope everything is correct.

Now it will stitch but not well. I can almost get close to a nice stitch, with the knot just visable below, by cranking the upper tension all the way, far tighter than I am used to. But than it changes out of nowhere and leaves 1/2 inch loops out the bottom with the bobbin thread loosely strung through.

Now what am I doing wrong...am I overlooking something simple(I hope), or time to let a pro look at it? I am really glad right now that I still have my old machine to finish some jobs!

0902181213-1.jpg

I hope you got a good price on this machine because the seller apparently did NOTHING to ensure the machine worked right before they sent it to you. 

Consew themselves are providing help in all the wrong ways. If you're following the how-to video Consew posted on YouTube, then you're playing russian roulette with the bobbin case - it' may work if you're lucky until it suddenly and inexplicably doesn't. The guy in the video does not know how to properly insert that bobbin case into the machine and he manages to get it exactly wrong at the 4:10 mark

By coincidence I had made a video about what to watch out for when inserting the bobbin case in a machine with a horizontal axis hook very similar to yours. 

Edited by Uwe

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did watch the consew video but it really shows nothing. The bobbin case clicks in where it should, just like my old machine.

I case anyone is watching... I had a pro look at it. The problem was the "case holder position bracket" as the manual calls it, repair man had a different name. He was certain someone had been poking around, before, pointed out some scratched up screws and a missing screw on the hook.....machine was "brand new" I wont say the shop but they are somewhere near westchester.

The Sailrite Fabricator is essentially the same as your Consew P1206RB as well as my Tacsew T111-155 as I understand it.  Download the Sailrite Fabricator manual from https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/2016_Fabricator_Guidebook.pdf   It was a big help to me.

On 03/09/2018 at 10:32 PM, EricD said:

Out of the box, I checked tensions, oiled everything, it would not stitch or even grab the bobbin thread. I believe the issue was excessive space between the needle and hook point. I carefully closed the gap without rotating anything.

I figured that if the needle-hook gap was excessive, that other adjustments were potentially also out of wack, or should at least be verified. I made a referance mark on the hook and needle bar. Turns out he needle bar has no factory marks! So I can only hope everything is correct.

Now it will stitch but not well. I can almost get close to a nice stitch, with the knot just visable below, by cranking the upper tension all the way, far tighter than I am used to. But than it changes out of nowhere and leaves 1/2 inch loops out the bottom with the bobbin thread loosely strung through.

If the timing is in fact correct, and I'd be surprised if it was shipped with the timing off, you may want to check your threading and make sure you're inserting the bobbin correctly. This should be covered in your instruction manual and probably explains the half inch loops on the bottom of your material. What thread / needle sizes are you using?

We have a threading video for our 1460 which is a similar machine:

Ron